IdleRich

IdleRich
love these posts. can't think of another commenter and topic that regularly ellicit such effort and passion, unrivaled on the board.

If you read all that then I am greatly indebted to you. In fact if you read any of it then I am pleasantly surprised. I just splurged it all out to let off some steam, as a way to vent basically with no expectation that anyone would read a single word but I still felt I had to bash it out, the equivalent of screaming at the top of my voice and banging my head against the wall.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I find something particularly irritating about someone pretending to believe that shortages are nothing to do with Brexit and then trying to be sarcastically witty about it, Darren Grimes is a perfect example of a Brexsycophants.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
He has the huge advantage of being apparently immune to any form of humiliation or shame. He's still all over Twitter after it came out that his school nickname was 'Craftywank', following his being discovered having a wank under his desk in Year 9 (clearly not that crafty, then), and after a judge ruled that although he'd broken the law, he shouldn't be fined as he was too stupid to have understood what he'd done.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, I really hate him. Horribly disingenuous.
I always think of him as like a schoolboy ingratiating himself with bullies. Whenever I see him the first thing that comes to mind is a situation where there is a bully who is picking on kids just like Darren cos they are gay and cos they are wimpy and so on, and Darren looks at the situation and weighs it up, thinks about what would happen if he tried to do the right thing, could he make common cause with the kids being bullied, he wonders, maybe if they all joined together and looked out for each other they could be stronger than the bad guy. And then he thinks, that sounds like a lot of work, why don't I just join in with the big guy and help him bully the other kids? I mean, they are like me and they are being victimised and... you know what, fuck 'em, and then he joins in the with the bad guy, and to make that guy like him he does his best to be extra vicious and spiteful in his bullying. And, yeah, the bully doesn't batter Darren, and he does sort of let him be on his side and finds him to be a useful little sidekick - but at the time he still holds him in contempt and looks down on him. Darren will never really be part of that guy's circle - and he knows it, he knows that he's done the wrong thing and that he's sold his soul, betrayed the people he should have helped - and he's done it for nothing cos he'll never be truly accepted. I'm sure that he's filled with self-loathing, he's trapped on the wrong side with people who deep down really hate him.

That sounds like hyperbole, some kind of exaggerated story in my head but, substantially, in this instance at least, I mean the important parts. That is to say that the conclusion I came to about him being filled with self-loathing because he knows he's done the wrong thing and become a tool for those who hate people like him - that is something that I truly believe quite literally.

IdleRich

IdleRich
He has the huge advantage of being apparently immune to any form of humiliation or shame. He's still all over Twitter after it came out that his school nickname was 'Craftywank', following his being discovered having a wank under his desk in Year 9 (clearly not that crafty, then), and after a judge ruled that although he'd broken the law, he shouldn't be fined as he was too stupid to have understood what he'd done.

Ah I knew he was called Craftywank but I never knew why.

But yeah, he rose to prominence cos of that spending scam/scandal thing didn't he. As I remember it, one campaign group - and I'm pretty sure it wasn't actually The Leave Campaign itself but another group with the same aims - gave him almost £700k so that he could donate it to them and make it look as though they hadn't broken the spending limit. But they got busted and I'm guessing the group was fined - but yeah, he successfully argued in court that he was too stupid to understand the forms he'd filled in properly and escaped censure.

That's the story as I understand it. But it seems to have a load of gaps. Why was it him out of all the students in the world who was selected to receive that money? What was the scam they were trying, is there really any chance that he didn't know it was dodgy?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
love these posts. can't think of another commenter and topic that regularly ellicits such effort and passion, unrivaled on the board.
In complete contrast, here's a zero-effort photo of no tomatoes in my local Sainsbury's the other day:

no_tomatoes.jpg

Leo

really can't make this shit up

Rishi Sunak has eulogised Northern Ireland’s “unique” and privileged position in having easy trade access to both the UK and EU markets – prompting critics to note that this was the case for the entire country before Brexit.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Just seen a brexit joke...

A man walks into a greengrocer and asks for a kilo of tomatoes. The greengrocer tells him: "That’s 50 pounds please mate". The man is shocked -
"50 pounds? Last week these tomatoes only cost me two pounds!"
"Well, today it is 50 pounds."
"But why 50 pounds? You’re having a laugh!"
Greengrocer says : "I'll explain it, - two pounds for the tomatoes, - ten pounds to pay for Brexit, - twenty pounds to pay for the Kami-Kwazi budget, - ten pounds to pay the Tory donors for their PPE that never worked - And finally, eight pounds to pay for Boris Johnson’s legal fees.
The man silently but angrily took out a fifty pound note and gave it to the greengrocer. The greengrocer took the fifty pound note, entered in the cash register and gave him 2 pounds back.
The man said in disbelief : "Wait, you said 50 pounds, right ? I gave you 50, why are you giving me back 2 pounds?"
".....There are no tomatoes."

luka

you have to talk about the eastern european untermenschen if you want to talk about brexit but nobody wants to do that. they are the sole cause of brexit and i dont see anyone wanting to tackle it.

luka

Jim refers to them as 'the orcs'. Craner said they've no humanity in their eyes, completely brutal and debased.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So are you saying that there may have been a slight element of racism in the Leave vote? I have to say that it's a whole new dimension to the issue that hadn't really crossed my mind and which I need to consider at length. There's certainly no denying that those are Craner's sentiments and those must be his words, it's so clearly his turn of phrase

One thing I find hilarious is that clearly a lot of Leavers wanted to get rid of brown people but didn't realise that India and Bangladesh are not in the EU. Another is how brexit's main aim was to stop so many immigrants coming and yet the numbers have increased. Brexit even failed at being racist, I mean how hard is it to be racist?

IdleRich

IdleRich
I know what you mean, perhsps it would be fairer to say it's racist-adjacent or semi-racism or something. But I don't think it's a positive thing. Also it's confusing cos it's a view often held by people who are racist in other ways and who hold out and out racist views. If it's not racism it's a cunt hair away.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I know what you mean, perhsps it would be fairer to say it's racist-adjacent or semi-racism or something. But I don't think it's a positive thing. Also it's confusing cos it's a view often held by people who are racist in other ways and who hold out and out racist views. If it's not racism it's a cunt hair away.
It's clear that opposition to mass immigration, which isn't inherently racist but often is in practice, has become mixed up with a general anti-Islam prejudice, so you have things like this:

(You could probably criticise the survey for asking leading questions, but at the same time, I don't think you can dismiss it.)

And this is a factor in support for Brexit, despite the vast majority of Muslims in the UK coming from South Asian communities, which haven't arrived here from or even via EU countries.