Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo

So wait, HMG works at a Russian troll farm? Gobsmacked, really sold me on being an Englishman.

Last edited:
AoyIo8tFwjgqYhN440dQoAOJJ-lL4r64shtqyRRXTdyHtSCm8TVb9Nr5h61R1Md7tnNsMyXOw2rYPslBMDwQgZekJ_EOjsw6KrIKOWY5WnIXTF6WXK1EYCFi8ly9OzBdUAoP9-Mkz5OLumlpTUXKPoWMcKs5oZOmvasYvZ4k_yn4WrCS5pM

Reactions: Leo

catalog

I'm well out of touch here. Is biskers position still that we shouldn't have bothered with lockdown? Had two mates say same thing to me this week: let those who wanna shield shield, let everyone else take their chances. But it's nonsense isn't it? The American position. Piles of dead.

I'm well out of touch here. Is biskers position still that we shouldn't have bothered with lockdown? Had two mates say same thing to me this week: let those who wanna shield shield, let everyone else take their chances. But it's nonsense isn't it? The American position. Piles of dead.

There are always piles of dead, people cheerfully die in their millions every year, but now their toe tags say mostly say "COVID-19", and they're not in any position to deny it.

Leo

if an oldie or someone in a high risk group gets the seasonal flu and dies, does their death certificate say they died of complications due to the flu?

mixed_biscuits

The situation is a little different now as the vaccine is on the horizon but...

lockdown 1 was pointless as it was too late: had little effect on covid deaths and huge collateral damage
lockdown 2 was pointless as the virus is endemic; it was followed by an instant resurgence (possibly partly as a result of forcing healthy people to stay at home with ill people)

People who have to work through the lockdowns are pretty much obliged to take their chances anyway and for most of the population the risks are low.

mixed_biscuits

I guess it's because they're more interested in tracking where the virus is rather than how dangerous it is (they probably ascertain that at an early stage).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There are always piles of dead, people cheerfully die in their millions every year, but now their toe tags say mostly say "COVID-19", and they're not in any position to deny it.
Dying cheerfully is one thing, dying by drowning in your own snot while surrounded by strangers dressed like astronauts and unable to see any of your kids or grandkids or anyone else you know.

IdleRich

IdleRich
That's it... people could be dying agonisingly of cancer or any other horrific disease but they are about to leave with a smile on their face until, wait, what if, possibly someone could blame it on c19 after they're gone? That could take away the joy of even the most masochistic.

catalog

The situation is a little different now as the vaccine is on the horizon but...

lockdown 1 was pointless as it was too late: had little effect on covid deaths and huge collateral damage
lockdown 2 was pointless as the virus is endemic; it was followed by an instant resurgence (possibly partly as a result of forcing healthy people to stay at home with ill people)

People who have to work through the lockdowns are pretty much obliged to take their chances anyway and for most of the population the risks are low.
But if there was no lockdown 2, wouldn't the hospitals get completely overwhelmed. Its interesting to me that the 'protect the nhs' message has gone now, but surely that's the key reason still?

mixed_biscuits

mixed_biscuits

They had to do a second lockdown at some point to make out that lockdown one had been a crucial intervention: they can't have the indicators peak and then fall in the absence of interventions as it gives the lie to the models that supposedly inform their policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.