Status
Not open for further replies.

luka

It's the massive fundamental changes we are all holding out for. I realise pessimism is your default setting but it's too early for that. Plenty of opportunity for pessimism and despair later on. For now might as well imagine a better future

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
yes, advocate and hope for the best possible government response

but even in the unlikely event happens, governments only have so much power to effect domestic, let alone, global economy

at some point people will have to go back to work. it will definitely be before a vaccine is widely available.

some number of people, most of them old, will die because you just can't shut the economy down for 12-15 months.

it's easy to say "how can putting work/school/etc on hold a bit be equivalent to a person's death".

what you're actually talking about is the point where widespread economic/existential desperation sets in. everything is a triage situation now.

padraig (u.s.)

if you want to imagine a better future, that's fine. there's a thread for it. I'll leave you to it.

I'd prefer to be realistic. hope for the best, prepare for the worst (or at least, the most likely).

IdleRich

IdleRich
What, now it says almost 14,000 new cases in US... something must be wrong with that data, there can't have been 5,000 in the last half hour can there?
Merkel's doctor diiagnosed with Coronavirus, she's now in quarantine.

luka

yes, advocate and hope for the best possible government response

but even in the unlikely event happens, governments only have so much power to effect domestic, let alone, global economy

at some point people will have to go back to work. it will definitely be before a vaccine is widely available.

some number of people, most of them old, will die because you just can't shut the economy down for 12-15 months.

it's easy to say "how can putting work/school/etc on hold a bit be equivalent to a person's death".

what you're actually talking about is the point where widespread economic/existential desperation sets in. everything is a triage situation now.

We all realise that.

padraig (u.s.)

What, now it says almost 14,000 new cases in US
no, that's right. most countries just report numbers once a day, or maybe with a second update.

the U.S. reports multiple times a day, and by state, so the numbers gradually go up throughout the day. there are indeed almost 14000 new cases as of rn.

keep in mind that almost 90% of those new cases are in New York, which as I said upthread is fully set to be the Lombardy of the United States.

that's without a few states reporting in, so it might wind up more lie 80% for the day but still, at this point it's NY and then the rest of the country.

version

I've seen people suggesting the UK are covertly continuing with the herd immunity approach and that's why they haven't properly locked everyone down yet. They can blame it on people not following precautions despite knowing full well they wouldn't.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
well some positive news: first time the number of deaths in italy are dropping. 651 the last 24h against 793 the day before.

padraig (u.s.)

yeah worldometer is the de facto aggregator. I've been following it obsessively for a couple weeks.

the New York numbers are pretty staggering, of course. we're past the point where any of us should be surprised by any numbers, though.

New York is also doing the most comprehensive testing of any state.

IdleRich

IdleRich
no, that's right. most countries just report numbers once a day, or maybe with a second update.
the U.S. reports multiple times a day, and by state, so the numbers gradually go up throughout the day. there are indeed almost 14000 new cases as of rn.
I'm not disputing that number, just the jump ie the old number must have been out of date. That website seems to update fairly continuously though obviously real time - I don't know how they do it to be honest.
And obviously makes sense that if there were 26k and 14k today makes 40k. In other words it's gonna be close to doubling today - fucking hell!

luka

I've seen people suggesting the UK are covertly continuing with the herd immunity approach and that's why they haven't properly locked everyone down yet. They can blame it on people not following precautions despite knowing full well they wouldn't.

Probably some truth in that.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Having their cake and eating it, a bit like I was saying about Trump in fact, he must know he should be ordering lockdowns but he's leaving it to the states to do it cos he knows the population will resent it.

Status
Not open for further replies.