Status
Not open for further replies.

version

It's the older people I know who seem most blasé about it all.

That's probably another factor re: people not wanting to stop working etc. If they see older people who are supposedly most at risk refusing to self-quarantine and rubbishing any warnings then they may well think "well, if the people we're supposed to be protecting don't care, what's the point in us taking the hit and staying indoors?" or "They don't care about putting me at risk, so why should I care about them?"

IdleRich

IdleRich
I would encourage you/anyone not get hung up on any individual numbers.
I'm not as such, I realise they can't be accurate (maybe the deaths bit is more so) but I'm watching the growth. I did a maths degree so I understand exponentials and I knew this was gonna happen but it's still frightening when it starts. Intellectual knowing and truly understanding are quite different.

catalog

That's probably another factor re: people not wanting to stop working etc. If they see older people who are supposedly most at risk refusing to self-quarantine and rubbishing any warnings then they may well think "well, if the people we're supposed to be protecting don't care, what's the point in us taking the hit and staying indoors?" or "They don't care about putting me at risk, so why should I care about them?"

I think this friction point is gonna get sharp pretty soon

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I think this friction point is gonna get sharp pretty soon
we were talking about it last week

the big hope is that temporary UBI etc buys some time before that sharpness

I also hope people acknowledge that resentment is a natural reaction, even if most elderly don't deserve it

surely better to address and talk through it, rather than let it fester in a some guilt/anger mixture

not that anyone's doing that here, but it shouldn't be a taboo topic

This mass exposure over the last week or two is going to bring London & New York to a screeching halt pretty soon. Irrespective of asymptomatic incidences and people isolating, there are enough people out and about to ensure a mass contraction rate comparable to initial Wuhan cases, certainly per capita.

If we work on the assumption that there is a 4/5 day incubation period this weekend will start kicking in Tuesday/Wednesday?

Thats my theory anyway.

There was a really good graphic representation of initial infection rates/progress here today -
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

I would be interested to see what effect the big Cheltenham meet had on spread too.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
will start kicking in Tuesday/Wednesday?
it's already kicked in in New York. 55% of all current U.S. cases (counting the whole state, but still) by itself, surpassed WA as leader in deaths.

best wishes, good to hear you're recovering.

The car crash monoculture quality of this can't be good for our mental wellbeing but I'm completely obsessed with it now. I guess you have to be

IdleRich

IdleRich
These things are particularly bad cos people come from all over, meet up and catch the thing, then spread out and infect everyone back where they came from.

catalog

Lot of people will soon be fleeing London I guess. My mate who is from a small Irish village said he was told to stay put by his family

version

it's already kicked in in New York. 55% of all current U.S. cases (counting the whole state, but still) by itself, surpassed WA as leader in deaths.

I've a feeling Trump and his goons are gonna twist this into something about it all being the fault of liberal states and cities.

luka

There's lots of stuff in the paper about Londoners coming up to their homes in the country, infecting the locals and buying everything the local shop. Disaster zone. Shoot them on sight if you ask me.

catalog

Other mate who happened to be in Scottish Highlands says locals are getting annoyed by lots of caravans turning up

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah seen queues of cars heading to North Wales too... read about the Cornish getting pissed off for same reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.