Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
i really like sam smiths pubs, its like they are 'proper' cos you get a good mix of people, and its serious drinking. but i've heard the guy who owns them is also a twat

His pubs not only have no TVs (a good thing, surely) and no music (no quibble there, either), but he's also banned bad language, laptops/tablets and phones, and at least some of the pubs only take cash.

It's only a matter of time before he goes full shari'a and bans mixed-sex groups and alcoholic drinks.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I thought that pub (the Sam Smith one right?) was to do with the newsreader, but also thought, how could it be? What a twat I am.
There is a pump memorial thing outside that tells you about him.
I like that pub and I like Sam Smiths in general too... though I think even they have got more expensive these days. I thought Sam Smith was John Smith's brother and they had two competing drinking companies... but I believe that's an urban myth, or is it an urban myth that it's an urban myth? I'm confused.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Sorry just catching up.... minimax is bollocks, not cos it's effeminate but because it's ignores probabilities. As far as I can see as soon as someone suggests a possible outcome, no matter how unlikely, you have to deal with it in the same way as things that might actually occur which is no way to make decisions.

catalog

no i think that might be right - they were brothers and fell out, had massive houses next to one another.

my friend once had an idea for a conceptual pub that he would like to call The Bastard. There would be just two beers: Bastard and Bastard Light. No work clothes allowed at the bar, some other rules. Unfortunately he's not set it up yet.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There is a pump memorial thing outside that tells you about him.
I like that pub and I like Sam Smiths in general too... though I think even they have got more expensive these days. I thought Sam Smith was John Smith's brother and they had two competing drinking companies... but I believe that's an urban myth, or is it an urban myth that it's an urban myth? I'm confused.

From the Wiki entry on the Samuel Smith brewery:

The Old Brewery in Tadcaster, Yorkshire, in the North of England, was established in 1758.[2] Samuel Smith, a successful butcher and cattle dealer from Meanwood, Leeds, funded his son John to buy it from the Hartley family in 1847. John Smith took over the brewery forming John Smith's Brewery, before moving his location next door. John Smith left the old building of John Smith's Brewery to his young nephew Samuel in 1886.[citation needed] In 1886 Samuel Smith opened the brewery Samuel Smith's Brewery under his own name.

So there were two Sam Smithses: one the father of John Smith, and the other his nephew (and therefore presumably grandson of Sam the Elder).

IdleRich

IdleRich
No more the eagle who circles his solitary peak no more the lean and hungry wolf
This is me to a T. We have talked several times about how much I love being comfortable and that if I'd lived in an age where I had to wear a loincloth, paint myself blue and wrestle a bear before chopping down a tree to provide meagre heat to my primitive hovel then I wouldn't have been able to do it, I would just lie down and die instead.

catalog

when i lived in london i used to go to that pub quite a bit and always meet odd people. there was another one, on the opposite side of oxford street, that was also quite good.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Like when people say "What would you do in a war?" and I'd think "Probably die really quickly and dishonourably in some comedy fashion long before engaging the enemy".

IdleRich

IdleRich
when i lived in london i used to go to that pub quite a bit and always meet odd people. there was another one, on the opposite side of oxford street, that was also quite good.0
The Cock maybe? Thing is once I went in there and in the toilets someone had done a massive shit deliberately on the seat, curled round so it covered almost the whole thing. And I went there another time and someone had done something similar again! Must have been like a vendetta or something. Or maybe they were just trying to show they were the opposite of John Snow in terms of hygiene maybe.

catalog

i also liked all those tiny pubs on that bendy street off oxford street, hanway? all of soho i'm feeling nostalgic about now. good area.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Like when people say "What would you do in a war?" and I'd think "Probably die really quickly and dishonourably in some comedy fashion long before engaging the enemy".

Heh. Like sneaking into the medical tent in the middle of the night and boshing all the morphine.

luka

Reading the ilx thread. They are all minted

News from the front: Whole Foods I stopped at this afternoon looked ravaged for the first time and the shoppers generally looked shook. Pasta aisle was almost completely picked through except for some of the specialty/high-end brands. I had bought $300 of shelf stable stuff (pasta, rice beans, lentils, etc) three weeks ago but you can't help pick up some vibes from the herd.

I just want to wish the best to all ilxors; let's be good to each other over the next couple weeks.

― Why, I would make a fantastic Nero! (PBKR), Thursday, 12 March 2020 22:19 (one week ago) link

IdleRich

IdleRich
Dunno but Guardian tends to be one of the more reliable in terms of actual facts so I'd be cautiously optimistic.
As always I'm watching the numbers on the worldometer site and the overall number is climbing frighteningly fast today. And you can feel this anecdotally too in that not long ago I didn't know anyone who had actually tested positive - I think the first confirmed case in (loosely speaking) my circle was Slackk - now I'm hearing of more and more cases amongst those that I know. It's as though there are three levels - the abstract mathematical level in that you know it's exponential and thus how it will grow, then somewhat more concrete is the actual growing of those numbers, and thirdly really bringing it home is it actually hitting people you know. I suppose there is only one level beyond that (in terms of contracting it).

Status
Not open for further replies.