Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Wow... Marina Hyde's latest column really pulls no punches. She says the servants will have to put Charles' toothpaste on the brush wearing the gloves they use to dispense of Andrew's bedsheets, and points out that although Americans are buying more guns there is nowhere to use them cos the schools are closed.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
there is nowhere to use them cos the schools are closed
I know it's a basically throwaway line in a column of bilious invective about other things

but also like, lady, get fucked. don't use us as a throwaway line in your stupid fucking column.

this lazily contemptuous attitude that only a European would have.

padraig (u.s.)

Coronavirus has not suspended politics – it has revealed the nature of power
idk if it's really saying much anyone didn't know

the idea that Israel was better equipped to handle this than most democracies b/c it's permanently on a war footing is an interesting shout

(idk the #s bear that out so far, although it does have a German-level low mortality rate)

and I would be interested to read more in depth about China as a government of engineers, as opposed to the West's central bankers + economists

the revelation that all politics is ultimately about coercive power, or that democratic vs. autocratic model of govt is the future, shouldn't be news to anyone

I said a couple weeks ago that there is a price to a freer society. you don't always know when or how you're going to pay it. we're paying it now.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I know it's a basically throwaway line in a column of bilious invective about other things
but also like, lady, get fucked. don't use us as a throwaway line in your stupid fucking column.
this lazily contemptuous attitude that only a European would have.
I know what you're saying... but I do think it's because she feels a genuine anger about what she sees as a crazy situation... admittedly from way outside it, and sees no reason not to keep hammering her point even in a column about something else. Obviously it's tasteless and a huge generalisation but I think that there is a valid in point in there.

luka

Has anyone else more or less given up reading current events or political analysis columns anywhere but here thanks to version's tireless curation of same?

It's great. Hats off to version!

I told him off for this the other day but he ignored me

padraig (u.s.)

bad day in Italy, obviously. and disheartening for other places hoping that lockdown will produce relatively quick results.

I didn't know that 46 (!!) doctors had already died there and that over 6400 (!!) health workers had been infected. that's ~7.5% of all recorded cases.

really hope other countries are noticing that and doing everything they can to protect their own health workers.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Did you see that about the guy supposedly dying cos he was turned away for not having health-insurance? Is that true? I thought it was specifically not supposed to happen. What about the hippocratic oath?

padraig (u.s.)

Obviously it's tasteless and a huge generalisation but I think that there is a valid in point in there.
of course. there's virtually endless valid points that could be made when it comes to Americans and guns.

a throwaway cheap shot from a posh Oxbridge Guardian columnist is about the least helpful way to engage that topic.

padraig (u.s.)

I thought it was specifically not supposed to happen
if you go to the emergency room of a public hospital they're supposed to treat you no matter what, then bill you after.

as you can see from the story, he went to an urgent care clinic, which is usually a significantly cheaper option than the ER for people w/o insurance.

they redirected him to the local public hospital ER. should they have done the the right thing and treated him? of course.

but it's America, things like that always happen. it's a fucked-up place with an insanely terrible health care system.

afaik there's still no official govt policy for paying for COVID tests/care for people w/o insurance, or things insurance won't cover

a member of the House of Reps got the CDC director to commit to that a few weeks ago, but that's not an actual policy with a mechanism for action

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
if you go to the emergency room of a public hospital they're supposed to treat you no matter what, then bill you after.

as you can see from the story, he went to an urgent care clinic, which is usually a significantly cheaper option than the ER for people w/o insurance.

they redirected him to the local public hospital ER. should they have done the the right thing and treated him? of course.

but it's America, things like that always happen. it's a fucked-up place with an insanely terrible health care system.

afaik there's still no official govt policy for paying for COVID tests/care for people w/o insurance, or things insurance won't cover

a member of the House of Reps got the CDC director to commit to that a few weeks ago, but that's not an actual policy with a mechanism for action

Could this finally be the event that forces some meaningful overhaul of the American healthcare system? I guess it probably depends on the outcome of the election later this year (assuming it even goes ahead).

I bet there could be a plague as deadly as the Black Death in 14th-century Europe and the GOP stalwarts would fight tooth and nail against any change that could impinge on the profits the health insurance companies make.

IdleRich

IdleRich
OK, I thought that they had issued a directive to the effect that such people should be seen. I suppose it's the same as in the UK - Johnson can go on telly and say "We won't let people evict tenants" but there is nothing legally put in place to actually make that the case (although the closed courts may now make it difficult to do of course).

IdleRich

IdleRich
of course. there's virtually endless valid points that could be made when it comes to Americans and guns.

a throwaway cheap shot from a posh Oxbridge Guardian columnist is about the least helpful way to engage that topic.
I think it's within her remit.

Leo

not good news, per se...maybe slightly less grim news...

The rate of coronavirus hospitalizations is slowing, says Cuomo. Data shows it doubling every four days between March 24-26, as opposed to every 2.5 between March 17-March 19.

Cuomo says the predicted APEX of pandemic in NY will be about 21 days from now.

we take whatever we can get nowadays.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
bad day in Italy, obviously. and disheartening for other places hoping that lockdown will produce relatively quick results.

I didn't know that 46 (!!) doctors had already died there and that over 6400 (!!) health workers had been infected. that's ~7.5% of all recorded cases.

really hope other countries are noticing that and doing everything they can to protect their own health workers.

13% of cases in Spain are healthcare workers

Status
Not open for further replies.