The Architects

luka

Danny have you read Groupname for Grapejuice? He borrows from some of Bey's stuff

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Milton Friedman I guess has to go in here, shaped our world, for worse and for worse. Made extremist ideas into our normality.

catalog

Ferdinand de Saussure = father of modern linguistics theory and massive influence on the French school of philosophers. He never even wrote a book, just lectures. Made people understand that what we commonly perceive to be facts are actually values and therefore provided a basis for poststrucutalism/postmodernism

luka

Hyperstition did a good 'forefathers of hyperstition' list which would fit here. Lovecraft and Crowley in particular.

luka

June 27, 2004

Candidates for a top 9

Inspired by k punk - a first stab at a hyperstition best of list (just in alphabetical order for now)

(actually hyperstition doesn't lend itself to this because it is depersonalizing and always taken up by complex lineages, but never mind... )

Madame Blavatsky (for showing the zone of perfect coincidence between hoaxes and religions - table-tapping faker, 'inventor' of the Secret Doctrine, the Tibetan masters and Theosophy)

William Burroughs (for fiction as magical war, time-travel implexion and Lemur-obsession)

Carlos Castaneda (for inventing artificial anthropology and dis/belief in Don Juan)

John Carpenter (for Sutter Cane -'I thought I was making it up but all the time they were telling me what to write' and 'The Thing', which has to exist, even though it's a fiction)

Aleister Crowley (for 'rediscovering' the history of magick, 'reinventing' the tarot and the very idea of the Book of Lies)

Deleuze and Guattari (for reanimating Professor Challenger as schizogeologist, blind doubles, numbering numbers and being 'aided, assisted and multiplied')

Drexicya (for 'marine mutation in the Black Atlantic' and 'fictionalizing frequencies')

L Ron Hubbard (for the preposterous incredibility of a science fiction writer happening to receive a B-movie sci-fi religious revelation)

William Gibson (for 'making up' cyberspace)

HP Lovecraft (for the Cthulhu mythos and the Necronomican)

Ronald Reagan (or is it Bush 41? for voodoo economics)

Jacques Vallee (for applying unbelief to the UFO/alien mythos)

Edward Yardeni (for making Y2K hysteria mainstream)

Honorable mentions

Walter Cannon (for Voodoo Death)

Kenneth Grant (for taking Lovecraft seriously)

Alan Greenspan (for irrational exuberance and the new economy)

Philip L Sclater (for giving Lemuria its name)

Whitley Streiber (for the templex relation between writing pulp horror and being abducted aliens)
Posted by Anna Greenspan at June 27, 2004 12:41 PM

RWY

Good one on Stewart brand, has anyone read that book of his 'how buildings learn'?

I bought a copy after watching the series Danny linked to a few years back but never got around to reading it. There's an interesting clip in the second episode of the series showing Elephant & Castle shopping centre in the 1990s.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's funny how there's a sort of dissensoid canon - Burroughs, Lovecraft, Alan Moore, Deleuze etc.

Seeing any of these names appear on here instantly deflates my erection.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
For all that Dissensus loves psychedelics, counterculture and general weirdness, I don't think I've ever seen Timothy Leary discussed here much, or even at all. Ditto Meher Baba, Ram Dass, Alan Watts... are these guys just 'too obvious'?

But Cowley and Burroughs are hardly obscure figures, either.

DannyL

Wild Horses
For all that Dissensus loves psychedelics, counterculture and general weirdness, I don't think I've ever seen Timothy Leary discussed here much, or even at all. Ditto Meher Baba, Ram Dass, Alan Watts... are these guys just 'too obvious'?
Out of date, more like. Leary' s books in particular. Not so much with Watts though

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I'd love a thread covering that particular strain of modern day acceptable cool. Dissensus' collective taste is a great example of it.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
You'd think it was about misery, but yet I Feel For You is very much cannon. Janet Jackson totally fine but Jane's Addiction is out.