trance (?)

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
trance also has a weird unacknowledged connection to chicago house, (mr fingers in particular) before the Dutch decided to sever it, sexless racist idiots.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
some of the v v early trance proper (when it was just about to split from techno) was pretty good n all, huge reverb for barty.

this one got played by Colin Faver at the UK raves amongst the mentalist acid and breakbeat techno.

droid

i think thats a bit harsh. i don't like trance as much as anyone but there were some truly astounding proto trance records, when it was still a variant of techno and acid. and there is some quite interesting uk trancecore.

this one originally released in 92 on labworks, then reissued in 96 for the UK crowds. this to me is ideally what trance should have always been. which it was for a short while in mid 92.

Sure, the roots of trance are another story. There's all kinds of interesting axes there. Rising high, GPR, FAX, the ambient house/chill out lineage. Pete Namlook's entire discography started with ambient B sides to trance(ish) records.

Its when the style solidifies that things get nasty.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Sure, the roots of trance are another story. There's all kinds of interesting axes there. Rising high, GPR, FAX, the ambient house/chill out lineage. Pete Namlook's entire discography started with ambient B sides to trance(ish) records.

Its when the style solidifies that things get nasty.

i think we can single handedly blame our two greatest electronic music exports for that. Sasha and John Digweed. everyone in mainland Europe wanted to imitate them. and they were shit to begin with always playing the most gloopy epic house to the nottingham and leeds massif. puke.

it really went downhill over night when that renaissance the mix compilation was released. just dire.

Leo

I have a couple of koxbox records, danish psy/goa trance that I remember being interesting. slightly more underground than the festival/euro trance.

entertainment

the trance revival mimics a fashion industry trend to the bone. the visual theme seems an essential part of it as well. many of these guys in copenhagen are going out with designers and fashion models, seem infatuated with that coldness. it's all post-ironic of course.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Were't we talking before about how we need a word for this post-post-modernism?
Of all the tunes above I like the ones that sound least like trance as it's normally understood... probably not just me who feels like I'd guess.

Leo

I'm no expert but some trance seems really mathematical: as if you used computer-aided design software, plugged in the desired start and end points, hit "enter" and then let the program run a spreadsheet of data points in a perfect arc. one element added at a time, each getting an equal amount of time, building step by step, first up then down.

not that there's anything wrong with that.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I think that's not just true of trance though is it?

no but what differentiates techno from trance is the addition and subtraction is there to add forward momentum. it's a more jakkin thing. with trance, the momentum is relatively static, percussively.

compare and contrast

with this:

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yes but my point is simply that there are a lot of types of music that could be created algorithmically.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
you can even create free jazz algorithmically if you liked. set a rule for elements to randomise in multiples or in ratio x--x.

music is all algorithm. We discovered this in this in the islamic world in the 9-10th century. Al-farabi even wrote a treatise on the algebra of rhythms. not my fault the Portuguese haven't translated is it.

blissblogger

although cold and searing and surging (in the genre's first phase) also does the job

i like the means-of-musical-production-upfront name of the artist, in the tradition of 808 State, Q-Bass, etc

IdleRich

IdleRich
that's not what leo was saying though. are you high?
I think it pretty much is what he was saying to be honest. Maybe he was also saying it was more obviously algorithmic than most types of music (emphasis on obviously there).

Compare

plugged in the desired start and end points, hit "enter" and then let the program run a spreadsheet of data points in a perfect arc. one element added at a time, each getting an equal amount of time, building step by step, first up then down.
With

"a set of rules that precisely defines a sequence of operations"
And you'll begin to understand.

music is all algorithm.
That was pretty much what I was implying yeah.