trance (?)

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i like trance at its fluffiest

tripping with the Teletubbies

this is why mdma is cancelled. the most anti-lsd druggy music there is. people forget just how much most rave music was influenced by bad trip acid and later MDA (snowballs.) although many factors can be blamed for the degeneration of the culture the prevalence of E as the only drug can be one of the main ones. inasmuch as E synergises perfectly with fluffy and airy music, whereas acidand speed are frictional.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I think it pretty much is what he was saying to be honest. Maybe he was also saying it was more obviously algorithmic than most types of music (emphasis on obviously there).

Compare

With

And you'll begin to understand.

That was pretty much what I was implying yeah.

fair enough. I took him to mean trance sounds directly algorithmic compared to other forms of music, which it does. even though jazz funk is technically down to its fundamentals algorithmic, it doesn't have the lockstep predictable grid aspect of trance. the variables are much loosely defined. trance is very tyrannically defined. in techno that rigidity is exhilirating, in trance it's just totalitarian after a while.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think we're both - all three - saying the same thing. Someone who knew what they were doing (in terms of both the music and the computers) could programme a middling track generator for most genres I reckon. But this would be easier in some than others and it's more apparent to the casual listener in some than others... trance is one where it's more apparent. In short it's more obviously formulaic. I mean I was at a very limited techno night the other day where the same would have been true but that was just one facet of techno.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I think we're both - all three - saying the same thing. Someone who knew what they were doing (in terms of both the music and the computers) could programme a middling track generator for most genres I reckon. But this would be easier in some than others and it's more apparent to the casual listener in some than others... trance is one where it's more apparent. In short it's more obviously formulaic. I mean I was at a very limited techno night the other day where the same would have been true but that was just one facet of techno.

yeah the state of some of the techno is embarrassing these days. zomby kethead hardstyle revival and all. I don't subscribe to that age old stereotype of people rating female djs because of their sex appeal but i am 100% certain that the RA crewdem forcing this down everyone's throats wants to fuck those Danish wankers.

Leo

I guess the point I'd stress in the algorithm notion of psy/goa trance is the prefect arc, the measured sequences: starts off at one point, and then very gradually takes one step at a time, building, on a precise roadmap, up to an apex of intensity and sound, before reversing course and measuredly stepping down the other side, returning to its original starting point. techno tends to be either more random or repetitive. trance seems super structured.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Kinda like a space journey, accelerate until you're half-way there, then start slowing down so you can stop in time to land. Though obviously there are several peaks so that process is repeated several times.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Kinda like a space journey, accelerate until you're half-way there, then start slowing down so you can stop in time to land. Though obviously there are several peaks so that process is repeated several times.

funny. when i was fucked off my head in a three week speed/sid/weed/booze bender and was going psychotic this was the mix which did it for me and it had little to do with trance, maybe structurally but not as a genre per se. literally thought this would make me a god in space and ascend to another galaxy.

Leo

this one's not really what I was talking about, maybe more progressive trance? I like the drifting female vocal samples.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
funny. when i was fucked off my head in a three week speed/sid/weed/booze bender and was going psychotic this was the mix which did it for me and it had little to do with trance, maybe structurally but not as a genre per se. literally thought this would make me a god in space and ascend to another galaxy.

@Rudewhy get this shit down yer gullet.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

@luka great mix for the neighbours.