Benny Bunter

Up till then it's been very weird, but more or less approachable - a sort of mash up of Shakespeare quotes, 17th century songs and ornithology textbooks in rhyming verse. That much I can just about handle.

But then you get to the lobster-orange shag in parvo and the traitor cow juice and you realise you know absolutely NOTHING about what's going on. Yet again.

william_kent

ChatGPT transcript:

William Kent: translate this into English:

So were intern attach herded for sound particle did affix scan to ultramont, for no matter broke could level cell tropic. Leading out proven sub manage ever in fold, rift token will to redeem or flagging, a massive glib finish. Bare face to give, stringent paste. Does scatter grab on or bet to ground one or two regulars, at root in blanket score, attempt. Seldom bred, did level placement promote up-rank incident recoil. Utter generic cell fluid timbre; for it now, listen; to a cert play to see bring placid at a join, promise gated al- ready infamous. Rise alike, so do. Along the seam cresting to burn out black my interim destruction.

ChatGPT4: It appears that the text you've provided is a mixture of words and phrases that do not form coherent or standard sentences in English. The text seems to be either a random assortment of words or some form of artistic or poetic expression. As a result, there's no direct translation or clarification I can offer to make it standard English, since its intended meaning is unclear.
If you have any context or specific questions about certain phrases, I would be happy to help!

william_kent

William Kent: it's a poem by J.H. Prynne

ChatGPT4:
Ah, I see. J.H. Prynne is known for his complex and often opaque poetic style. His works frequently challenge traditional linguistic and syntactic conventions, making them challenging to interpret for many readers.

Given that poetry, especially of this nature, is often open to interpretation and operates on multiple levels of meaning, any attempt to 'translate' or clarify it risks distorting the poet's original intention. While I can't offer a straightforward translation into 'standard' English, I can attempt to provide some context or insights into specific lines or phrases if you have particular questions. However, Prynne's work is best approached with an open mind, allowing the language to resonate on a personal level.

william_kent

William Kent: what does this mean? what is he saying!?

ChatGPT4:

J.H. Prynne's poetry, including the passage you've shared, is known for its density and elusiveness. His style often incorporates a wide range of references, from scientific terms to historical and personal allusions. Understanding Prynne's work often requires multiple readings and some background knowledge in various fields.
The poem you shared appears to be a blend of abstract images, emotions, and thoughts, and deciphering a concrete or singular meaning might not be straightforward. However, here's a very general attempt to glean some thematic or emotional impressions from the text:
  1. Interactions and Attachments: Words like "intern", "attach", "affix", and "join" suggest connections or bonds, perhaps reflecting on relationships or ties to things or people.
  2. Perception and Understanding: Phrases like "sound particle", "listen", and "see bring placid" might indicate a contemplation on how we perceive and interpret the world around us.
  3. Change and Transition: "Leading out", "burn out", "rise", and "interim destruction" can evoke ideas of change, progression, or deterioration.
  4. Identity and Placement: "Bare face", "level placement", "up-rank", and "generic cell" touch on themes of identity, status, and individuality.
  5. Conflict and Resolution: "No matter broke", "rift token", "recoil", and "infamous" suggest struggles, conflicts, or challenges that need to be faced.
Despite these tentative impressions, it's crucial to approach Prynne's work without rigid expectations for clear meanings. Poetry, especially the kind penned by Prynne, often works on an emotional or subconscious level, and different readers may extract different meanings or feelings from the same text.
If you're genuinely interested in delving deeper into Prynne's work, it could be helpful to consult academic articles or commentaries that discuss his poetry. These can provide additional layers of context and interpretation that can enhance your reading experience.

Benny Bunter

"Despite these tentative impressions, it's crucial to approach Prynne's work without rigid expectations for clear meanings."

Loool, you can say that again!

william_kent

"Despite these tentative impressions, it's crucial to approach Prynne's work without rigid expectations for clear meanings."

Loool, you can say that again!

ChatGPT4: Indeed! 😄 Poetry like Prynne's often requires an open mind and the willingness to embrace ambiguity. It's all part of the rich tapestry of literature, where not everything is immediately clear, and that's what makes it both challenging and rewarding. Enjoy your journey through his works! If you have any other questions or need further insights, feel free to ask.

william_kent

Is it, though?

I thought you'd be enough of an aesthete to recognise jaded irony?

( edit: I thought I was being ironic here, but it required the reader to have "an open mind and the willingness to embrace ambiguity" which, in retrospect, means my subtle sarcasm totally failed at this point in time )

sufi

lala
a low pun from lrb

Someday my Prynnes will come​

London Review Bookshop <noreply@londonreviewbookshop.co.uk> Unsubscribe​

1:14 PM (4 hours ago)

London Review Bookshop
9 November 2023
New J.H.Prynne
Not one, not two, not three, but four new publications from the irrepressible late modernist master J.H. Prynne have arrived simultaneously in the Bookshop.
At the Monument is a substantial new sequence, subtitled ‘A Romance’. A new edition of At Raucous Purposeful replaces the text of the 2021 version and includes several new poems. Foremost Wayleave and Hadn’t Yet Bitten are collections of (respectively) six and fifteen new poems, the latter written as late as September of this year. All four are published by Face Press to their usual high standards and in the usual short runs.
Purchase them here, and check out the other Prynnes we have available while you’re at it, why not.
Browse all