Leo

Barter system. When I'm in the mood, I'd trade a rare punk 7" for a nice steak dinner and a few glasses of wine.

mixed_biscuits

This is why I don't really get the obsession with cash (or at least, severe aversion to cashless payment) found among limp_biscuits and his buddies. Banks issue cash, and they can decide to stop issuing it - or a government can order them to stop issuing it. And then you're not really any better off than you'd be if they blocked your cards.
Low resolution view

wild greens

This is why I don't really get the obsession with cash (or at least, severe aversion to cashless payment) found among limp_biscuits and his buddies. Banks issue cash, and they can decide to stop issuing it - or a government can order them to stop issuing it. And then you're not really any better off than you'd be if they blocked your cards.

If all their money was cash it would be in their hands and not in the bank who are currently refusing to release it to them

Whether it retains worth in a situation like this is a different matter- surely China are about to be bummed badly by inflation if this is all happening - but you're literally looking at what happens when they switch off cashless and show you who's in charge in these videos & your response is "i dont know why people are against cashless payments"

wild greens

Structurally of course cash is dying regardless and tbh i only draw out if getting a turkish or so I've got money for tips etc

But it is quite clear that full digital leaves us more vunerable than before

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If all their money was cash it would be in their hands and not in the bank who are currently refusing to release it to them
Right, but cash leaves your hands when you spend it, doesn't it? And if you're paying, say, a street vendor for your food, then sure, he's now going to spend that cash directly on something else, and it remains in circulation, for now. But if like most people you shop in a supermarket, then they're not directly recirculating cash, are they? They're taking it to a bank, and it ends up back in the bank's hands. And all big shops are going to behave similarly.

mixed_biscuits

Right, but cash leaves your hands when you spend it, doesn't it? And if you're paying, say, a street vendor for your food, then sure, he's now going to spend that cash directly on something else, and it remains in circulation, for now. But if like most people you shop in a supermarket, then they're not directly recirculating cash, are they? They're taking it to a bank, and it ends up back in the bank's hands. And all big shops are going to behave similarly.
This is like saying guns shouldn't be banned because you could get stabbed in the eye with a pencil

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Whether it retains worth in a situation like this is a different matter- surely China are about to be bummed badly by inflation if this is all happening - but you're literally looking at what happens when they switch off cashless and show you who's in charge in these videos & your response is "i dont know why people are against cashless payments"
I was responding to the video (@version has, in his inimitable style, since deleted his post, I think) showing people kicking off because the bank won't issue them cash.

Obviously, if your bank both blocks your card and won't issue you any cash, then you're royally screwed.

wild greens

The point of revolt against cashless society is that digital centralisation means nothing is in your control and you are hostage to a conceptual entity should said entity decide to withold your existence

Obviously, if your bank both blocks your card and won't issue you any cash, then you're royally screwed.

You may think you're being clever here with the limp biskit dig, but you've actually just affirmed the whole crux of their whole argument with the above statement, no?

version

I was responding to the video (@version has, in his inimitable style, since deleted his post, I think) showing people kicking off because the bank won't issue them cash.

Yeah, I deleted it because I couldn't work out whether it was showing what it was alleged to be showing.

Some were saying it was tanks rolling into Henan, others were saying it was footage of some training exercise somewhere else and it was near impossible to tell who was acting in good faith and who was pushing propaganda.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The point of revolt against cashless society is that digital centralisation means nothing is in your control and you are hostage to a conceptual entity should said entity decide to withold your existence

I feel like you're trying not to understand me...

Is cash not a form of centralization, a conceptual entity? Yes, if you got locked out of your bank account, then you can still use cash. But how many people get paid in cash? Maybe you've got a stash of it at home, but once you've burned through that, then what?

You may think you're being clever here with the limp biskit dig, but you've actually just affirmed the whole crux of their whole argument with the above statement, no?

Not at all. My point is that the idea that you (a hypothetical 'you' who has a normal job that's not paid in cash) could get by using cash if for some reason they were unable to use digital currency is a fallacy.

Or maybe we're talking at cross-purposes here. I'm not, like, cheerleading for the idea that banks have a massive amount of control over us. I'm just saying that they still have that control over us via their control of the cash flow, it's just not as direct and immediate as their control of our debit cards and internet banking apps.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Yeah, I deleted it because I couldn't work out whether it was showing what it was alleged to be showing.

Some were saying it was tanks rolling into Henan, others were saying it was footage of some training exercise somewhere else and it was near impossible to tell who was acting in good faith and who was pushing propaganda.
Fair enough.

See everyone? This is what journalistic ethics looks like!

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
If only there were frameworks for digital commerce that don't depend as heavily on central authorities...

But re cash, I'm inclined to think its considerably less dependent on central entities, namely commercial banks and even central banks, than digital fiat is (IE wiring money from one bank account to another), seeing as the latter is ultimately data maintained by database/ledger admin figures, to my understanding.

That said, I would say cash is largely dependent on issuing authorities, insofar as inflation can be some tool of monetary oppression. IE if a monetary authority, statutory like a central bank or even de facto like certain other financial institutions, should choose to deliberately inflate the money system, that can be seen as a sort of central control exercised over cash.

But this control is ostensibly less severe than when cash was backed up by gold reserves, in which scenario the entity in control of the reserves would seem to exercise even greater central authority over the money system, but I could be wrong.

wild greens

Theres loads of cash in hand work still floating about and though dwindling, still a few cash only gaffs

I'm not getting into a semantic discussion when you've already proved the point

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
If anything, I think cash-only commerce may (continue to?) sink down toward some sort of second-class economy, with major capital flows favoring market participants who can use newer media of commerce. But I could be wrong here too.