corpsey's Nietzschean pop songs top 10

luka

It might be a reference to his (broken) promise to start an Apolo/Dionysus thread

sus

“The Dionysian is championed [in Portrait] as the fertile breeding ground of freedom and creativity; but it needs the restraint and balance of the Apollonian to redeem it, to channel its powers for art. The pendular or tidal alternation of the two forces builds the macrostructure of the novel.”

sus

In other words, all art is a balance of the Dionysian ("generative," "drunk") impulse and the Apollonian ordering impulse (the amphetamine high that leads you to organize your entire CD collection alphabetically)

sus

It's no coincidence that Europe entered the Renaissance just as caffeine began to be imported. Renaissance art loses some of the raw creativity of the Dionysian Dark Ages, but makes up for it with execution.

sus

Here’s a strategy for quicker, more productive writing: dissociate roles, splitting the self into writer and editor. Generate, then curate. Or in alkjash's frame, babble, then prune. “Use a weak and local filter to randomly generate a lot of possibilities... [Then] Use a strong and global filter to test for the best, or at least a satisfactory, choice. With this word in the blank, do I actually believe this sentence? Does the word have the right connotations?”

sus

The pruner-editor always exists, but is typically integrated—the Watcher at the Gates of the Mind. Schiller, pioneer of fragments, writes of this watcher as the self who examines ideas too closely. He said that in the case of the creative mind “the intellect has withdrawn its watcher from the gates, and the ideas rush in pell-mell, and only then does it review and inspect the multitude.” He said that uncreative people “are ashamed of the momentary passing madness which is found in all real creators.” (Johnstone, Impro)

luka

Here’s a strategy for quicker, more productive writing: dissociate roles, splitting the self into writer and editor. Generate, then curate. Or in alkjash's frame, babble, then prune. “Use a weak and local filter to randomly generate a lot of possibilities... [Then] Use a strong and global filter to test for the best, or at least a satisfactory, choice. With this word in the blank, do I actually believe this sentence? Does the word have the right connotations?”

write drunk edit sober in other words or the other way round.

sus

Where cringe is the result of getting an outside view that contrasts—unfavorably—with one’s self-perception, the (self-)Watcher is an anticipatory outside view. Typically, one of the least charitable, or most traumatically cruel, figures in the watched’s history is chosen as voice. This kind of mental modeling of an addressee or audience is constant (if culture-dependent: ex-pats of totalitarian regimes, upon moving to more liberal societies, have noted with shock & awe how little forethought their new neighbors put into speech).

Cringe, and its closely related indexed tropes (the metonyms of stereotype: blacks eating watermelon, white boys listening to Mac Demarco), loom large as censor, pruner, editor. What makes writing so strange is the way its addressee is often everyone and no one at all—an invented, projected demography, a conflation of minds. The lack of a specific modeled Other makes such writing difficult in a way speech or personal letters are not: the occasion seems lacking, the context elusive. And it allows neurosis free reign over quality assessment: the Thing is what is said about it, and the voices are chosen based on weather, on mood—the stormy voices, the grey clouds, the dependable rays of sun.

luka

a big part of being a master writer is not getting sucked into editing too much. you lose the freshness and the energy it gets all fidlly and neurotic and mannered. thats my opinion.

Reactions: sus

sus

Note: the larger structure of culture follows this same pattern of generation and selection too—works are created, in theory cream rises to the top, wheat separated from chaff, the best is preserved as "canon"

In other words, the Darwinian metaphor: selection.

sus

a big part of being a master writer is not getting sucked into editing too much. you lose the freshness and the energy it gets all fidlly and neurotic and mannered. thats my opinion.

yeah I've experienced this when editing my books, it's hard to know when to stop, when the polish is taking the individual charm out of it

luka

"For I want to propose that for writers who become poets, by persistently writing poems, there is quite often an imaginary double or counterpart self, whose functions can be latent in all aspects of a poet’s life-practice but who plays a much more forward role in the work of writerly composition. Quite possibly this phenomenon also exists for writers in other generic modes, such as drama and fiction; but the analogy with childhood companionship suggests that language arts may have a special prominence in what is here being proposed; so that for example musical composition is not part of the schedule. "

woops

is not like other people
I have a drawing I made of "the critic" with a big red cross through him/her/they/it

Cringe away but recommended

Reactions: sus