Sense of Humour?

mvuent

Void Dweller
anyways on topic--i don't think finding something funny precludes other emotional responses. you can laugh at something and at the same time be deeply moved by it.

in fact almost all my favorite art is sort of humorous on some level. sometimes humor can arise from extreme success rather than extreme failure .

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
These two have the most in depth theories about an apostrophe and so on. He's their James Joyce. It's not just the music, it is the music, but it's much much more than that.

There's something freeing about letting go and going with it. I'm sure it felt like the advanced class to many hippies back in the day.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
in fact almost all my favorite art is sort of humorous on some level. sometimes humor can arise from extreme success rather than extreme failure .

The moment when I truly got George Clinton, like internalised his full being, was a talking head section in a documentary I found on YouTube where a guy was talking about them playing the heaviest shit ever, something like: 'and I mean Bernie was a classically trained pianist. He could play Rachmaninoff, Beethoven, whatever and yet he chose to play funk... On synths, dressed in a fucking diaper.'

Free your mind and your ass will follow

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Like what I said in post #10. The juxtaposition of 2 opposing magnetic forces. There's something powerful in playing against the expectations, against the instincts. It reframes both poles in a new light. That invisible force. It takes you out of yourself. Its psychedelia. Its freedom.

Leo

aphex strikes me as an occasional prankster. "come to daddy" is fucking hilarious.

kumar

i heard from a guy who knows a guy that in the early pre abolition days of proto jazz in new orleans, there was a lot of piss taking.

an important social context around the stuff people got up to at the dancehalls had to do with parody, dissembling. i suppose broadly, on the part of wealthier white punters that might be in the sense of appearing to be upholding standards of european finery while getting off on a sexually liberated fantasy, albeit through the repressed signifiers of syncopated rhythms, and on the part of black musicians would have been in the sense of taking the piss out of some of the more european conventions while not letting the same audience catch on.

and so apparently theres this crucial 2 faced, parodic aspect to its development which is overlooked by accounts which only treat the music as an authentic response to struggle, or some fusion of different rhythmic traditions etc.

i mean there was "jelly roll" morton, thats hilarious

in any case the piss taking, insincerity, not quite doing what you say you do in your lyrics, is a big part of most pop music. especially in a more repressed era, dissembling your burning sexual desires through cryptic dance moves and writing songs about your “ding a ling”, secret codes that make your mother blush when she finds out are quite funny ideas.

luka

A sense of humour is part of a full spec socially approved adequate personality and anything that's determinedly humourless, that insists, in a silly way, on 'darkness' or something, is un-dissensian. Eg. Techstep, eg autechre, eg shakleton, eg most of dubstep before skrillix redeemed it. You have to have the ability to see both faces of it, alternate.

image.jpg

woops

is not like other people
A sense of humour is part of a full spec socially approved adequate personality and anything that's determinedly humourless, that insists, in a silly way, on 'darkness' or something, is un-dissensian. Eg. Techstep, eg autechre, eg shakleton, eg most of dubstep before skrillix redeemed it. You have to have the ability to see both faces of it, alternate.

not to mention coil and all that 80s we're-so-scary crowd

Last edited:

luka

Shakespeare and Joyce are always pissing around, maybe not poets in the strict sense, but also literary geniuses like me. Us three at the top tier, jokers, laugh a minute lads.