Sense of Humour?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
A sense of humour is part of a full spec socially approved adequate personality and anything that's determinedly humourless, that insists, in a silly way, on 'darkness' or something, is un-dissensian. Eg. Techstep, eg autechre, eg shakleton, eg most of dubstep before skrillix redeemed it. You have to have the ability to see both faces of it, alternate.

View attachment 3113

you're so wrong here. none of those musics are truly humourless.

If you want truly humourless music check out Maurizio Bianchi. totally bleak christianity with no christ.

luka

Well you have a magical way of making that kind of music the funniest music in the world. It's how you position it and contextualise it.

luka

You turn everything into slapstick music and the harder and darker it is the funnier it becomes once squeezed through the thirdform filter.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
A sense of humour is part of a full spec socially approved adequate personality and anything that's determinedly humourless, that insists, in a silly way, on 'darkness' or something, is un-dissensian. Eg. Techstep, eg autechre, eg shakleton, eg most of dubstep before skrillix redeemed it. You have to have the ability to see both faces of it, alternate.

View attachment 3113

But also that's what i was saying last night. it's cool to have prejudices but why would you want a full spec socially adequate personality? peak state militarism. often those who compound this line know they are never adequate enough but must signal they are. the true conformist wouldn't be having this debate to begin with.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
You turn everything into slapstick music and the harder and darker it is the funnier it becomes once squeezed through the thirdform filter.

Sure I find a lot of hard and dark music funny, but not in the communal nammy pammy way of a standup comedy but more what on earth the hell was that? so yeah there's definitely a huge amount of humour to my listening, it's more on the outside looking on the inside and decoding it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I think zappa is wank because he could never be a hooligan in his commentary. I'm determined to show his fans how it is done, the numbskulls.

luka

But also that's what i was saying last night. it's cool to have prejudices but why would you want a full spec socially adequate personality? peak state militarism. often those who compound this line know they are never adequate enough but must signal they are. the true conformist wouldn't be having this debate to begin with.

Well this getting a bit too political for me you know I don't understand politics I just like my tunes man

luka

Like, chill out with all the seriousness man I'm just trying to listen to some tunes

Shakespeare and Joyce are always pissing around, maybe not poets in the strict sense, but also literary geniuses like me. Us three at the top tier, jokers, laugh a minute lads.

It's especially good when a master has proven their chops and can fuck about, genius at play.

Leo

gabber...thunderdome branding usually includes a devilish smiling skull or grinning evil clown face. brutal, pounding and funny as hell, distant ties to happy hardcore.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Eminem is an interesting case study in humour cos he started out (well, when started being good) as one of the funniest rappers, then he became all serious and boring, then he tried to be funny again but now his humour is forced, like Hitler doing a cracker gag.

There's a lot of room for humour in rap music, more so than in most genres I'd say.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I think zappa is wank because he could never be a hooligan in his commentary. I'm determined to show his fans how it is done, the numbskulls.

Hmm wonder who you could be talking about! Get tae fuck, and don't think we're buying that you have a sense of humor about tech step either lol

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen

Nothing personal, but Zappa was loaded with humour. Surrealist, ridiculous punning of American consumerism, Montana & Teenage Wind are towering blends of pisstaking, whimsy & all out groove, relentlessly satirical all while continually cranking out gem after gem. Cunt could actually play too. His scales, time signatures & lyrical musings add another layer of jouissance to the mix. Yeah, I said jouissance. Surrounded by folks like George Duke & JL Ponty elevated the music even higher imho. Late 60’s to late 70’s cunt was on fire. He could be a hooligan in interviews by continually focusing a light on the hypocrisy at the heart of American life. No small thing & very few of his peers from that period could paradoxically attack both the establishment & the low-hanging countercultural fruit as succinctly as Dr Zappa.

Horses for courses. Yes art is subjective, but there are far more worthy targets to skewer. If you feel these are the musings of an inadequate, signalling an alliance with something bigger than my own relationship with art, so be it, but I hear a master who learned their chops inside out deeply enough to completely fuck around from lp to lp. Beware false idols & lambast false prophets by all means, but there are far far worse culprits outside (and beneath) such narrowly constructed margins.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Hmm wonder who you could be talking about! Get tae fuck, and don't think we're buying that you have a sense of humor about tech step either lol

I just ignore your zappaism like that minging bird my best mate is dating. so no it wasn't aimed at you. :p

As for humorous techstep.

almost cartoonish juttering bassquake that would lacerate your skin if you got too close to the system. classic german brilliance. acid house taken to its absolute limit. punishing but not necessarily dark.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Nothing personal, but Zappa was loaded with humour. Surrealist, ridiculous punning of American consumerism, Montana & Teenage Wind are towering blends of pisstaking, whimsy & all out groove, relentlessly satirical all while continually cranking out gem after gem. Cunt could actually play too. His scales, time signatures & lyrical musings add another layer of jouissance to the mix. Yeah, I said jouissance. Surrounded by folks like George Duke & JL Ponty elevated the music even higher imho. Late 60’s to late 70’s cunt was on fire. He could be a hooligan in interviews by continually focusing a light on the hypocrisy at the heart of American life. No small thing & very few of his peers from that period could paradoxically attack both the establishment & the low-hanging countercultural fruit as succinctly as Dr Zappa.

Horses for courses. Yes art is subjective, but there are far more worthy targets to skewer. If you feel these are the musings of an inadequate, signalling an alliance with something bigger than my own relationship with art, so be it, but I hear a master who learned their chops inside out deeply enough to completely fuck around from lp to lp. Beware false idols & lambast false prophets by all means, but there are far far worse culprits outside (and beneath) such narrowly constructed margins.

Sure but I never believed in the counter-culture. I agree with woebot that they were all conservative libertarians to a t. maybe a funny thing for a Marxist into hard acid to be arguing, but one must ruthlessly criticise everything.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I like the trajectory of Masayuki Takayanagi. he started off panning serious japanese jazz musicians who were playing hard bop/post-bop, in the early 60s, saying rock was far more abstract and that they were too conformist. Then when rock went tawdry and lost all its early fuzzy experimentation and was co-opted into the establishment by the late 60s, he was able to fully realise the abstraction of free jazz in a new much more violent and skin lacerating context.