catalog

i think irish people are a bit burdened by their international stereotype. ive been a couple of times to ireland and they are just totally normal and funny, the friendliness is no different to any provincial place (to me). the funniness is totally unintentional and only funny cos its unusual

Well yeah that's exactly it. It's being funny without trying because it's embedded in how you speak. Whereas Southern English people their natural speech is mostly about making other people feel small and racism and stuff like that, they're always trying to lighten it up though, with politness and humour, saying things that are only very very mildly funny,

luka

northerners are like that too. whole personality based around not being southerners. its a curse. having to define yourself against the south. always banging on about it.

catalog

i cant agree with that. stereotyping too much. theres more variation now in the north, in terms of culture, than there is between north and london. half the north is london anyway

Of course the british invented template craic in the form of the catchphrase. Catchphrases, puns, lite cliches, polite sarcasm. English man bread and butter