F A N T A S I E S

woops

is not like other people
i assumed that corporate mindfulness is a thing because it distracts ordinary workers from depression / routine / boredom / questioning the worth of their work, etc etc and then they can get on with the job with fewer pesky thoughts in the way. this seems like a very safe assumption in fact. i suppose i have a very different mindset to you stan.

woops

is not like other people
same way that team building exercises are in place to provide the expectation that you will feel more part of a team after doing some horrible shit. i suspect if i ever ended up on one of these things i'd hate my team mates even more by the end.

woops

is not like other people
same way that the job of CSR departments is to find ways to make it look like the company has a sense of social responsibility

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
When I meditate with my eyes open, looking at my bookcase and desk and the various things on it, I find it to be great practice for the kind of waking meditation @woops mentions, i.e. walking around. Even being able to engage in activities and dialogue without losing this sense of unperturbability.

And here is where I still employ an extensive conceptual framework in conjunction with efforts at letting mental exertion come to a rest. I see my surround objects (book/DVD covers, electronics, etc) as the various advanced superstructures of energy that populate out region of spacetime with extraordinary abundance, so abundant as to let us lose track of just how singularly structured our world is.

And then I observe how my mind maps various concepts onto these objects, prompted into different thoughts and thought sequences as my eyes shift aim across the room.

And letting all of these mental invocations collapse into a single plane of mental activity, alongside whatever emotions may be activated throughout these thought sequences, allows me to better see through the phenomenal realm, to become less disposed to be swept up by it, swept up out of the lucid ataraxia I seek to sustain.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
i assumed that corporate mindfulness is a thing because it distracts ordinary workers from depression / routine / boredom / questioning the worth of their work, etc etc and then they can get on with the job with fewer pesky thoughts in the way. this seems like a very safe assumption in fact. i suppose i have a very different mindset to you stan.
Yeah I'm less pessimistic here because I think the mindfulness practices tend to improve the quality of mental life of whoever does it, depending on how seriously they take it of course, i.e. if they are committed enough to overcome initial obstacles like distraction or preoccupation with future events.

woops

is not like other people
When I meditate with my eyes open, looking at my bookcase and desk and the various things on it, I find it to be great practice for the kind of waking meditation @woops mentions, i.e. walking around. Even being able to engage in activities and dialogue without losing this sense of unperturbability.

And here is where I still employ an extensive conceptual framework in conjunction with efforts at letting mental exertion come to a rest. I see my surround objects (book/DVD covers, electronics, etc) as the various advanced superstructures of energy that populate out region of spacetime with extraordinary abundance, so abundant as to let us lose track of just how singularly structured our world is.

And then I observe how my mind maps various concepts onto these objects, prompted into different thoughts and thought sequences as my eyes shift aim across the room.

And letting all of these mental invocations collapse into a single plane of mental activity, alongside whatever emotions may be activated throughout these thought sequences, allows me to better see through the phenomenal realm, to become less disposed to be swept up by it, swept up out of the lucid ataraxia I seek to sustain.
this is astounding you have opened your third eye by not drinking or wanking.

woops

is not like other people
Yeah I'm less pessimistic here because I think the mindfulness practices tend to improve the quality of mental life of whoever does it, depending on how seriously they take it of course, i.e. if they are committed enough to overcome initial obstacles like distraction or preoccupation with future events.
hm well, that's fair but i mistrust the enforced nature of some of this stuff in a business environment

what about that amazon mental health app? it helps you deal with the fact that you have a terrible job but you have to use it off the clock right?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Yeah thats why I'm so compelled to minimize the presence these things have in my life. Tough to square that with being a passionate mixologist, however.

luka

he also wanks heaps. he tried not wanking but it made him grouchy. he thought resuming his wank habit was the pragmatic thing to do.

woops

is not like other people
in all seriousness this sounds like the goal of meditation as i understand it, which is to let thoughts come aand go without judging them,

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
hm well, that's fair but i mistrust the enforced nature of some of this stuff in a business environment

what about that amazon mental health app? it helps you deal with the fact that you have a terrible job but you have to use it off the clock right?
Yeah re: corporate enforcement of this I think your suspicions are well warranted. I have a family member who works in an Amazon subsidiary, and they have "harmonization meetings" that they attend.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
in all seriousness this sounds like the goal of meditation as i understand it, which is to let thoughts come aand go without judging them,
Yeah, rather than banishing them or shoving them back under the waterline, which operationally is still a recurring difficulty for me, just far less recurring than it once was.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
No no lukes just doing that thing where he's slipping false statements into the conversation over and over until they begin to resonate despite the pleas of rationality.

luka

im not. i can even find the posts and quote them. apart from the bit about flouride. i did make that up.