luka

woops is playing Doom again and that gave me a simialr feeling. looking through a window at space represented in the game that was nonetheless impossible to reach
and the magic of finding a secret door that actually lets you into a portion of that forbidden space. finally occupying it.
the map of interiors and the city turned inside out.
the map never stops rendering. it will always create an enviroment around you, no matter where you go.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Last Monday I had to wake up at six, Paris time, to leave home by seven, to get to the Gare du Nord by 7:30, go through the grueling covid theater that I knew would be imposed at the station, and take the 9:13 Eurostar to London.

Grueling.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
So lately I've been thinking about Warhol embodied the avant-garde's embrace of consumerism and pop culture, as opposed to maintaining some high-brow distance from it, and I'm wondering if this trend has extended beyond consumer culture and into corporate culture.

I know we've talked about this with corporate psychedelia, and even of the corporate embrace (or postured embrace) of mindfulness, buddhism-lite, etc. But I wonder if there have been any thoroughgoing avant-garde figures who took/take as their media things like spreadsheets, forms, etc.

The way I see it, the corporatist avant-garde would be the imbuing of corporate best practices with a deeply experimental and creative ethos, attempting to push the metanarrative further by disrupting the perceived opposition between the buttoned-up austerity of the office and the veritably psychotic passion of the historical avant-garde. Does anyone know of any examples of this?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Imagine an avant-garde handling of organizational design, workflow management, business development, etc.

In a way, web3 is a great culture for this. With PubDAO, we are inventing our own business model, a sort of blend between content-as-a-service, a staffing agency, and a news syndication network, and its all shaping up to be remarkably horizontal.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
The series Severance I think taps into this, but as more of a mysticism than an outright avant-garde. The office culture there is esoteric by design, with the founder's office manual serving as veritable scripture, and an array of idiosyncratic rituals that the employees observe.

For a while I've been interested in the cultural anthropology of the suit and tie, and how that became the vestige of the business arena. Its as if power has been abstracted away from sheer material strength, IE armor, and into more of a symbolic capacity, IE expensiveness and fashionability.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
One thing I'm noticing in this cutting-edge business culture of web3, is the technical hyperliteracy required to constantly be switching to new platforms. A sort of code-switching between user experiences, with an especially high churn rate in DAO tooling platforms. It feels like every two weeks there's a better platform for managing DAO workflows. And its all built on blockchains, hence the requirement of technical hyperliteracy.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
The web3 biz dev culture I'm talking about is comprised primarily of technically hyperliterate self-guided types, and the situation is very conducive to visionaries and savants. With PubDAO in particular, there is an emphasis on public goods, but also on effectively doing capitalism to achieve them - rather than just wishing the system gets better, which is largely what I see the academic left as normally doing.

Whereas, this communitarian strain of capitalism actually seems like its starting to recognize that A) capitalism as a practice is efficient, namely that excess stock should be operationalized to generate further revenue, but also B) that this revenue is better deployed in the interest of public goods than in the interest of personal wealth accrual.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
@Clinamenic I think again we encounter the very important connection between the avant-garde and psychoactive substance(s).
Web3 is all adderall and coke state of mind.
Haha definitely. Unless we’re talking about those of us in the Sapien Network milieu, in which case psychedelics is more of the definitive substance.