The Weather.

shakahislop

there are wildfires in quebec apparently, and that means that today nyc has a karachi-style haze, its making the sky go yellow and my eyes sting. the towers in midtown have almost disappeared from downtown. the light is totally different to normal, its sickly and dim.

Leo

I was just going to post about that. I was out this morning and it wasn't that noticeable. Got home at around 1:30 pm, just opened the window at 6:00 pm and immediately smelled like there was a fire in the building next door!

luka

weather here still not settled down. not had a hot day yet. restless winds, lots of cloud cover. not at the point were you can just lie in the grass and feel good just to be out there. nice enough of walking but not good enough for pure loafing yet.

shakahislop

i like those kind of days. wildfires, or dust from the desert coming in.
actually that's the other thing that it's like, sandstorms. it has that same effect of making the sky think and getting everyone to shelter inside. mad looking out the window now, it's a sort of grey-yellow light. you can just see some of the neon lights penetrating through.

luka

had a mad one in sydney like that. red sky, red dust from the desert thick on every surface. you get it in england too but not as extreme. always looks eerie and wrong but also cool

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
weather here still not settled down. not had a hot day yet. restless winds, lots of cloud cover. not at the point were you can just lie in the grass and feel good just to be out there. nice enough of walking but not good enough for pure loafing yet.

forecast has lied a bunch recently, said low 20’s and mild but winds from the North Sea don’t fuck around

even if you layer up, Britain’s weather will stay say “see, your sources of divination were off again”

luka

forecast has lied a bunch recently, said low 20’s and mild but winds from the North Sea don’t fuck around

even if you layer up, Britain’s weather will stay say “see, your sources of divination were off again”
forecast has been as scattershot as i can remember it and ive been studying it daily for 6 years. definitely the wind is all over the place at the moment.

shakahislop

looks like it's getting worse. it only started getting thick in the evening yesterday. but today at lunchtime the sky is already yellowing. it is of course reminiscent of an insta filter. had yet another moment walking down the street at lunchtime of thinking that this is the beginning of the climate-changed world, the early signs, the transitory period between the start and the realization. but of course it's always hard to know how far to trust that feeling, it's too attractive and poetic to trust that it's real. so far as i know nothing like this has happened before here.

version

A bunch of outdoor things at schools in the US have been cancelled and people are being told to keep inside because the air quality's so poor, particularly in NYC.

As of Wednesday morning, New York had the second-worst air quality in world, according to a ranking of major cities by Swiss air quality technology company IQAir, with Delhi, India's smog-plagued capital city, topping the list.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I was just going to post about that. I was out this morning and it wasn't that noticeable. Got home at around 1:30 pm, just opened the window at 6:00 pm and immediately smelled like there was a fire in the building next door!
Looks pretty cool though, I’m in the Bronx right now.

Reactions: Leo

Leo

smog_multiples-Artboard_1.jpg

top row from left: 10am, noon. bottom row from left: 12:50pm, 1:50 pm

Leo

At 2 p.m., the air quality index in the New York City region was 324 – the worst since the Environmental Protection Agency began recording air quality measurements in 1999. It shattered the previous record of 174, set on Tuesday.

Leo

Yes, here's our opportunity to ask @mixed_biscuits and he-who-cannot-be-tagged (aka, crown boy) their opinions about whether masks work in these smoke conditions.

Leo

even staying indoors my eyes are itching, it's quite intense. looking out the window the streets are emptying out

gotten brighter in the last hour but still reminds me of the hours when hurricane sandy was approaching. a weird hue, relatively quiet streets.