version

Wittgenstein also once invited a bunch of academics over for a round table discussion, but when they arrived he was sitting in front of fire place reading poetry out loud and refused to stop or even turn around to face them
You're making him sound like Andy Kaufman.

constant escape

winter withered, warm
he also once attacked a dude with a fireplace poker mid philosophic debate.
keep in mind this is a guy he was so convinced he solved all philosophical questions he quit to go be a kindergarten teacher in some obscure mountain town. Imagine those poor children
Think someone wrote a book about that. Karl Popper, Wittgenstein, and their debates, etc. Forget the title of it.

linebaugh

You're making him sound like Andy Kaufman.
Apparently he was a bisexual fuck machine too.
160816214840.jpg

look at this saucy dude

luka

Barty said he read Philosophucal Investigations aged 11 and never read another book ever again

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Laruelle also wrote about Nietzsche and fascism, arguing that Nietzsche was becoming fascist, or at least courting it, to overcome it.

It would be interesting to read Nietzsche in hindsight of the incel. Yay? nay?

luka

i read one page of it once when on acid and the result was i started a thread no one understood not even me

luka

im trying to remember the ridiculous title i gave it.... constant escape would understand it

Reactions: RWY
Galen Strawson because he was my philosophy of mind tutor and shaped my thinking about consciousness and panpsychism. He also let me off handing in an essay because I'd spent the morning reading fearing and loathing in las Vegas instead and he was fine with that.

Thomas Nagel too, similar approach to physics and limits of objectivity in relation to subjectivity

Nietzsche in aphorism mode

Last edited:

linebaugh

Republic is fun, Plato has some wacky ideas, really flies against the consensus that the Greeks were all these enlightened democratic loving humanitarians. He argued that all music and art should be banned, and though the elites would know it to be a lie, we should feed the citizens the idea of a spiritually enforced hierarchy were people evolved from certain earth substances (dirt, silver. and gold?) and are organized in classes accordingly

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I feel like philosophy isn't something you can read casually. Partly because it's so dense and difficult and partly because it's always referring back to another dozen philosophers you haven't read.

The only philosophers who I've read more than a few paragraphs by are Ralph Waldo Emerson and Montaigne. I'm not even sure if either counts as a "proper" philosopher.

Actually that's not entirely true I forced myself to read some stuff by Hegel and Foucault and Derrida at university and that probably put me off philosophy for good. There's a continuum there of wilful tedium.

Nietzsche seems an incredibly exciting writer compared to those philosophers. I might have read some Kierkegaard too, I can't remember if I did or just read about him.

Back in those uni days I also had a short lived fascination with Heidegger. I wish I could remember why now. I think I had an inspirational teacher who briefly convinced me I was going to devote my life to phenomenology.

linebaugh

I feel like philosophy isn't something you can read casually. Partly because it's so dense and difficult and partly because it's always referring back to another dozen philosophers you haven't read.

The only philosophers who I've read more than a few paragraphs by are Ralph Waldo Emerson and Montaigne. I'm not even sure if either counts as a "proper" philosopher.

Actually that's not entirely true I forced myself to read some stuff by Hegel and Foucault and Derrida at university and that probably put me off philosophy for good. There's a continuum there of wilful tedium.

Nietzsche seems an incredibly exciting writer compared to those philosophers. I might have read some Kierkegaard too, I can't remember if I did or just read about him.

Back in those uni days I also had a short lived fascination with Heidegger. I wish I could remember why now. I think I had an inspirational teacher who briefly convinced me I was going to devote my life to phenomenology.
I had that interpretation of Foucault for awhile but I believe that's because all I had read was art criticism and I think he's just shit at that. Discipline and Punish has none of that pointless tedium, and any time it does wade a little into the practice of creating obtuse terms or abstract talk he's always quick with the cogent examples and review.

dilbert1

I highly, highly recommend this lecture series for anyone at all interested in Nietzsche. You get a fantastic overview of the most key aspects in his thought, correctives re: gross simplifications and caricatures of his ideas, and plenty of references to particular passages. The lecturer's own philosophical work is also exceptional in my opinion.