Corpsey

bandz ahoy
"Liquid Swords is a concept of being lyrically sharp, flowing like liquid metal – mercury, y'know? It comes from this flick, Legend of the Liquid Sword, where people would get their head cut off but it would still be on their shoulders. No one else would notice, because the sword was so sharp. Wu-Tang is a sword style, and this here is the sharpest. I'd rather slip on the pavement than slip on my tongue."

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Miaer Lloyd aka DJ Excel was one of my cousin’s old crew. DMC winner, taking things back a bit

then he made this and cue a few facepalms

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
You have to always be addressing a notional lyrical enemy, making abstract threats about linguistically GBHing them, whoever they are. And the threat itself demonstrates the terrifying verbal skill you possess. It's a bit like when animals puff themselves up to ward off rivals.

luka

corpsey have you got any of the lyrics you posted on lyricists longue back in the day you could show us?

luka

my mind state is poised between love and hate
my enemies and my mothers face
i take another pull on my spliff and discover grace

that's a good one. i just wrote it for you. you can have it for free.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
LOL I hope not

I've probably got pads full of the stuff in my parents' attic.

I can exclusively reveal that my rap name was Invalid (the illest kid).

Even more embarrassing than the lyrical miracle rainbow surfing lyrics would have been the lyrics where I claimed to be shagging mad honeys and so on.

But there you have it – my other options were either to make fun of myself in a cartoony way or actually talk about my life, in a more solemn variation of louie theroux rapping about his Fiat.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
my mind state is poised between love and hate
my enemies and my mothers face
i take another pull on my spliff and discover grace

that's a good one. i just wrote it for you. you can have it for free.

It must be nice knowing that if the poetry doesn't work out you can always become the most feted UK hip hop MC ever.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
As much as I rightly laugh and cringe at my past attempts at rapping, I do miss the creativity of actually writing stuff like that. It's probably the most creatively focused I've ever been, really.

Also I freestyled at a few parties as a teenager and got mad props. If I'd had any gumption whatsoever I could probably have even purloined it into getting a handjob.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Becoming an overly verbose rapper is one of the few avenues to public display/admiration open to nerdy bookworm types.

version

I like the bit in People Just Do Nothing where Grindah says something like "They think I won't chop their fuckin' nose off like van Gogh, literally just like rip it off with my bare hands".

luka

given i was a white british teenager heavily invested in both rap and getting stoned there's lots about it i would want to defend i reckon.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

This is so quintessentially UKHH, isn't it?

Morose piano. Whiney voices. It's called fucking "Cosmic gypsies".

Don't mind it actually. Always had a soft spot for Chester P.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Remember going to see Blak Twang at Glastonbury (must have been?)

HHC used to push UK Hip Hop a lot.

luka

there's no good UKHH. it's all painful to listen to. interesting to speculate about but painful to listen to.