DannyL

Wild Horses
Let's hope so. I'm thinking of doing a promotion on Dissensus. Everyone gets 25% off but I'll bring your posts up in sessions.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Re the original video and tune. Looks like a fusion between happy hardcore and pop rap.

They’re just kids having on their own terms. And @shiels no you’re not the only one.

@DannyL the NHS has postponed masses of face to face therapies, but there’ll be a huge influx of clients backing up and you’re more likely to get somewhere winter to spring. The wife is in your line of work and Covid has fucked things beyond belief.

That was a joke obviously. I remember when I was younger sometimes feeling that working class pride is as absurd and limiting as middle-class self loathing, or patriotism, and find it frustrating how people would default to certain positions. shrivel or get all sanctimonious depending on where they felt they fell. And the terrain has changed so much that the analysis fails, we haven't got the language for it. Obviously the divisions are very much felt and lived, permeate everything we do, but most of the discussion, comedy etc takes place at a superficial jokey level around signifiers, lifestyle choices...

DannyL

Wild Horses
Yeah, I think things have changed so much, we don't have the words anymore. And we mix up culture with economics all the time. substituting one for the other.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
@shiels Agreed. It wasn’t about pride so much as roots. Chances are if you delved deep enough most here could trace their backgrounds to pre-industrial agriculture. Unless it’s Danny Dyer.

The Pygmalion shows one avenue where we do have the language for it, but I get what you mean. When I went to uni, that was a first for our clans and then leaving early the first time so much shame was involved. Akin to a type of class betrayal, as in you blew it. You were given the means to move on and you squandered it. Also the ability to interact between very distinct social domains. Their language packages. Their codes of behaviour. You become adept at and adapt to cultural exchange and transference. I can hear it in myself talking with relatives and friends, then the slight shift when speaking to colleagues. Weird.

White northern kids have been MCing over this music since i was in school. Late 1990s? Maybe earlier i dunno man.

@shiels
The Pygmalion shows one avenue where we do have the language for it, but I get what you mean. When I went to uni, that was a first for our clans and then leaving early the first time so much shame was involved. Akin to a type of class betrayal, as in you blew it. You were given the means to move on and you squandered it. Also the ability to interact between very distinct social domains. Their language packages. Their codes of behaviour. You become adept at and adapt to cultural exchange and transference. I can hear it in myself talking with relatives and friends, then the slight shift when speaking to colleagues. Weird.

We should do a thread on class performativity, confessional like the f a n t a s i e s thread

There's a terrible shame attached to being middle class, rightfully so. It's correct to feel ashamed. There's an instinct to self effacement.

But what to do with the shame ? how do you transmute yours? I remember you saying what you were trying to do with dissensus was be the Shaman of Shame. to work with that energy, an alchemist turning individual vulnerabilities and insecurities into collective power

luka

in my opinion the correct thing to do with the shame is don't be middle class. that is to say don't build a middle class identity, protect it and take refuge in it.