Music for Old People

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I think the point being made here is not that incels/PUAs fail to suggest some malaise, but that they reveal little of depth about said malaise, and probably better suggest the internet's ability to foster/amplify niche subcultures. The pick up artist community online is way weirder than your average college degenerate. It has complex rules and definitions and techniques and celebrities and etc. No way that exists without the internet.

Surely the term niche here is just the conceited haughty male (usually male) who looks down from olympian heights and could never deign to hold himself accountable and think actually, y'know, I'm not far removed from tibiriusincelistan1314?

constant escape

winter withered, warm
Maybe I'm still hung up on the incel/troll/avant-garde overlap, but there seems to be something unsaid here.

And sure, these communities might have have *not* congealed, or even securely formed, without the internet, but that fact hardly means these communities are reducible to internet niches. Maybe they merely express something that couldn't be held together before the internet enabled it to.

Have there ever been, before the internet, communities based around celibacy, without any grander pretenses? Sure, there have been groups that practiced celibacy in some vocational sense, but not for its own sake? Or because they felt it was forced upon them, without being dressed up as vocational?

The point made by @version in the other thread, repressed semen - I hadn't connected it to this avant-garde thing. Can we think of trolling and terrorism as two extremities of disruption? That is, where you would end up if you "pushed" disruption to its extreme/conclusion?

Can anyone help connect these things? Or is it not worth connecting?

Last edited:

linebaugh

Surely the term niche here is just the conceited haughty male (usually male) who looks down from olympian heights and could never deign to hold himself accountable and think actually, y'know, I'm not far removed from tibiriusincelistan1314?
make that same haughty male the little man inside tempting us to listen and yah

constant escape

winter withered, warm
this is probably deflating the point point a bit, but what Im getting at is while there would surely be some incel-esque culture without the internet, ncel culture as we have it today exists because of the internets ability to effectively toss a million people in the same room at the same time. Ideas and values get stunted at their most reactionary, juvenile phase and mutate from there.
Totally agree, I think. That there are a ton of communities out there, today, that wouldn't exist as communities without the internet, because their constituents would be too few and far between to meet up in meatspace. That said, I don't think that said communities are completely reducible to by-products of the internet, even if they are enabled by the internet. Like the internet is a necessary but not sufficient condition for these communities.

I mean, I think we agree that the energy that coalesces into these communities would, without the internet, remain unconnected and spread thin, and thus the communities would either not exist at all, or exist in much smaller numbers

Micro-diasporas.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
The PUA thing could only have happened online. Nerds who before the net would have been totally isolated getting together on BBS boards and pooling their brain power to research and unlock the keys to the female psyche. To some extent they succeeded. But at what cost?

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
The Game was an entertaining read. It lays out the evolution of the PUA scene really well. From humble beginnings to massive empire, with mansions in the Hollywood Hills & Courtney Love hanging out, inevitable infighting, splintering off into different clans and then total collapse. I found a few audiobooks of some of the key research literature, Ross Jeffries - Unstoppable Confidence and in10se - The October Man Sequence. Only ever flicked through them though. Always meant to use them as samples. Creepy af natch

Last edited:
I see others have elaborated for me. There's always been people dying for sex who can't get it, now they can all talk to each other and politicise their resentment, have their pathetic revenge and make us all suffer. the meek will inherit the earth

Zuckerburg can't do normal friendship and romance so he uses nerd brain to deconstruct it, to understand its mechanisms and flows, he decodes and recodes it and builds a new nexus, a new map that tantalises us with its amplified and distorted social pleasures , it seduces us the narcissists we all are now, makes us addicts, drawing energy away from the territory and onto his monetised map til they're inextricably enmeshed, it's his world now. This is nothing to do with autechre I just had a coffee.

the PUA industry and alt-right use a similar model... hacking the social nexus

luka

the adult market all round is sort of fucked isnt it. there's not a lot made that is actually serious and committed. its all a laugh and joke nowadays

what ya mean? infantilisation
in2iq8a5t1l21.png

everyone should upload their face and we should rate them on a scale of adonis to school shooter. I'm pretty sure i'd be able to rank you all correctly first time from just your dissensus posts