Music for Old People

luka

That's what I am suggesting, yes. And Incels are unattractive leading to a lack of confidence and a lack of S-E-X. And that's not fair. Life is cruel.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
That's what I am suggesting, yes. And Incels are unattractive leading to a lack of confidence and a lack of S-E-X. And that's not fair. Life is cruel.
The tragic part is that most of them probably could find a girlfriend, eventually, if they tried actually talking to women instead of talking online with other men about the unattainable ideal angle between jaw and chin for maximum reproductive success.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i don't think most people want to have an intelligent conversation about incels tbh. as loathsomeand reactionary as they are they illustrate a great malaise in the idea we approach sex today. I don't really like Zizek but he is bang on the money here.

luka

Probably. But it would also mean giving up unreasonable expectations etc. And we are all sold the idea that we are Neo from the matrix.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
What happened to the dirty Mac brigade? Extinct? Retired? Morphed?

New Age travellers too, except they mostly inherited trusts, bought to rent and no longer wish to be addressed as Sprout, Moon and Loz.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I don’t know if incels do illustrate a malaise or signal too much beyond the internet’s ability to connect and amplify niche interests and resentment
I think that's exactly right. PUAs etc wouldn't exist without an Internet to meet up on. These kinda subcultures would never form otherwise.

mvuent

Void Dweller
Seeing as, in youth culture terms, all of us are past our prime, could you conceive of a musical movement for us and by us. The old and embittered. Is it possible. Is it desirable. Is it related to mvuents masters study?

i think a lot of the time in a musical movement there will be a lot of young people who seem to be more or less on the same page artistically—but then as they get older, gain wider stylistic vocabularies and greater technical knowledge/ability, it becomes clear that their alliances mostly came about due their initial limitations and circumstances. they started off in a similar place but were always going to have wildly different trajectories. were never truly on the same page, arguably. so if you try to get them back together for another movement it won’t work.

(for example, i remember being shocked to find out that this heat once opened for u2 of all bands. and energy flash is full of interviews where artists explain to him how they never really liked x scene they were a part of, they always wanted to make something more like y once they had more gear.)

i think there are two ways to solve it: either a) have a musical movement with complex, spacious parameters (like classical music) or b) get people who didn’t make music when they were younger to take it up. so yeah, i think this could be a valuable demographic:
Imagine how many old people have been making tunes since their teens but no one ever cared cos they weren't that good, or never had the lucky break, or the confidence to push themselves forward. Is that a compost heap which could produce anything of value?

i’ve seen a decent number of grey haired old guys skateboarding (or hoverboarding) around my neighborhood lately. definitely seems like they’re itching for something like this to get going. i bet if you put them in a studio you’d get a pretty solid husker du type ep.

luka

I've never been part of a scene. I reckon I'd like it now I'm older and over some of my hang ups

version

Loads of stuff about jaws in novels all the way into the 20th century. People can't help believing in physiognomy.
in2iq8a5t1l21.png

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I don’t know if incels do illustrate a malaise or signal too much beyond the internet’s ability to connect and amplify niche interests and resentment

here we go again, old shirtless centrist dad man yells at cloud about the toxic impact of the internet.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
The tragic part is that most of them probably could find a girlfriend, eventually, if they tried actually talking to women instead of talking online with other men about the unattainable ideal angle between jaw and chin for maximum reproductive success.

women aren't there to be found in a fishmarket and owned are they.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I think that's exactly right. PUAs etc wouldn't exist without an Internet to meet up on. These kinda subcultures would never form otherwise.

For incels: sure they would. go to any university and you will have any degenerate bragging about their sexual conquests or who they slept with for the last 5 days. It's absolutely hideous and elevates sex to this unattainable level of having the write looks, the write performance in bed and the write social clout on campus. No idea what PUAs are sorry.

The problem with incels is their beliefs in weird far right biological racial pseudoscience. The hierarchy they talk about exists to an extent, it's just wholly cultural. It has fuck all to do with biology. The roadmaps we use to define attractiveness and success are just warped. It's why you'll get so many internet bros salavating over anna Khachiyan because they can't control their dick, but she's actually so fucking butters.

linebaugh

here we go again, old shirtless centrist dad man yells at cloud about the toxic impact of the internet.
sure they would. go to any university and you will have any degenerate bragging about their sexual conquests or who they slept with for the last 5 days. It's absolutely hideous and elevates sex to this unattainable level of having the write looks, the write performance in bed and the write social clout on campus.
I think the point being made here is not that incels/PUAs fail to suggest some malaise, but that they reveal little of depth about said malaise, and probably better suggest the internet's ability to foster/amplify niche subcultures. The pick up artist community online is way weirder than your average college degenerate. It has complex rules and definitions and techniques and celebrities and etc. No way that exists without the internet.

Last edited: