Music for Old People

luka

You can dance Go 'Back to '88, back to 92' back to 94' back to 98, back to whenever and I'm not knocking it, but it's just nostalgia

catalog

The only thing I would say on that count is that some of what I'd commonly perceived as youth culture eg decunstructed club, the actual protagonists and people behind the scenes who make it all work, they are all late 30s, early 40s

DannyL

Wild Horses
North London lot are real diggers in that respect. My parents live close to Stamford hill. Funny thing i was listening to a happy hardcore pirate radio rip a few weeks ago and the lad was giving a shout out to mill hill. I have a freak FM tape where they give a shout to fracture and neptune (most probably the later drumfunk/breakbeat dnb revivalist pair) and the barnet massive. Could hardly imagine anything like that today.
You mean the localisn of pirates? I used to like that a lot. Funniest example I ever heard was when a DJ (I forget who) lost it on air due to abusive texts and offered out the sender and told him to "meet me outside Leytonstone tube in 20m" whereupon he probably would've got a bar wrapped round his head.

Re. digging/reggae.I think the proximity of Stamford Hill to Dalston and Stokey probably had a lot to do with it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
funnily enough looking back i wish northern bassline had fully colonised london instead of mature funky. i went to a few bassline nights up north, they were so much more alive than any of those over 16s funky nights...

catalog

So then the terms of your original point don't really make sense, if you accept that youth culture is not produced solely by youths

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
You mean the localisn of pirates? I used to like that a lot. Funniest example I ever heard was when a DJ (I forget who) lost it on air due to abusive texts and offered out the sender and told him to "meet me outside Leytonstone tube in 20m" whereupon he probably would've got a bar wrapped round his head.

Re. digging/reggae.I think the proximity of Stamford Hill to Dalston and Stokey probably had a lot to do with it.

yeah 100%. I always start to laugh hard when they give a shout out to edgware. man that place is the last place i wanna live today.

luka

What it would take for me to have a writing scene would be for handful of people, no more than 10 would have necessary. Maybe only 6 or 7 people to go oh I see what old Lukas done I see how he's achieved hose effects and what he means by it. I see where this is going. I want to do that too. And then you have that pool of people expanding the parameters in unexpected ways, goading each other to further excesses and brilliance and surprise

luka

And that is self sustaining for a while, until it implodes. Thats a scene. That's what jungle was. Free jazz, whatever.

catalog

i've gone off all that gabbery stuff you like, i'm more into trad 70s british folk.

did you listen to that 1995 epilepsy thing that i think is mica levi? you might like it but probably not

catalog

i think pursuing the notion of cancelling music, by limiting our aural perception in some way, is more interesting than trying to make music for old people.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i've gone off all that gabbery stuff you like, i'm more into trad 70s british folk.

did you listen to that 1995 epilepsy thing that i think is mica levi? you might like it but probably not

there was hardly any gabba in the last mix we did. it was a tapestry of psychedelic delights.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
You can dance Go 'Back to '88, back to 92' back to 94' back to 98, back to whenever and I'm not knocking it, but it's just nostalgia
At what point do you think this tendency kicked in? I recall someone saying here once that they remember "Back To 95" house and garage nights as early as 1998. (Which was possibly an exaggeration, but if it was, then only a very slight one. I certainly remember flyers for them when I was a student ca. 2000.)