Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 18.35.32.png
pp%2C840x830-pad%2C1000x1000%2Cf8f8f8.jpg

Leo

You've got quite a bug up your ass about vaccines, a hill you choose to die on while we all live long, healthy lives.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
While we're at it, has anyone been keeping tabs on the number of high-profile right-wing blowhards who made a big song and dance of refusing a covid vaccine and subsequently died of covid? I reckon it must be in triple figures by now.

Leo

Tucker's just gotten the boot from Fox.

Difference between UK and US: you guys playfully call each other cunts every day, but it's come out that apparently Tucker Carlson using it in a text message about his female boss was a bridge too far for Fox.

Wonder if that's just Fox PR spin, to make themselves appear to have standards against a hostile work environment, etc. I mean, they let him spew racists, homophobic, white nationalists bullshit on the air every night and none of that was a problem.

shakahislop

Difference between UK and US: you guys playfully call each other cunts every day, but it's come out that apparently Tucker Carlson using it in a text message about his female boss was a bridge too far for Fox.

this is something that's been on my mind recently, that difference. it's a bit different now in the uk due to the n-word but until recently there wasn't really any word that was considered beyond the pale in impolite company. less of an expert but france is more or less the same i think. whereas in the US has this linguistic quirk where there are quite a few swear words that you're not allowed to say in any circumstance.

my ten year old niece (in UK) recently sat me down and explained all the swear words she knows, which was impressively comprehensive, and even she knew that she wasn't allowed to say the n-word. that was pretty interesting, given that ten years ago (white) people would say it on BBC programmes if it served the purposes of a joke. i'm not particularly making a normative point but it is an illustration of how US cultural mores seep into UK culture. a longstanding quirk of the UK is how much its affected by what's going on all the way over on a different, poorly understood continent.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I remember my friend teaching at a school for kids who'd been excluded, in fact I think it was a school for people who got excluded from the school they went to after they were excluded from their first one. Difficult kids basically. Anyway there was one who was five or six years old, you had to watch out cos he would try and kick the teachers all the time. He'd also worked that the n word pissed people off the most so that was his favorite word. Not sure he knew the meaning, he used it on everyone.

Leo

this is something that's been on my mind recently, that difference. it's a bit different now in the uk due to the n-word but until recently there wasn't really any word that was considered beyond the pale in impolite company. less of an expert but france is more or less the same i think. whereas in the US has this linguistic quirk where there are quite a few swear words that you're not allowed to say in any circumstance.

my ten year old niece (in UK) recently sat me down and explained all the swear words she knows, which was impressively comprehensive, and even she knew that she wasn't allowed to say the n-word. that was pretty interesting, given that ten years ago (white) people would say it on BBC programmes if it served the purposes of a joke. i'm not particularly making a normative point but it is an illustration of how US cultural mores seep into UK culture. a longstanding quirk of the UK is how much its affected by what's going on all the way over on a different, poorly understood continent.

the oddness of the US situation is compounded by it's casual and pretty much accepted use by Black folks. watch an episode of "Atlanta" and Paperboi's using the n-word multiple times in the same scene, often in an affectionate way.

IdleRich

IdleRich
So now I read that Jack Smith is investigating the Save America SuperPAC which may have raised $250m fraudulently to investigate an election they knew full well was fine.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Dunno where to put this but there are rumours that Laura Ingraham has also been fired from Fox News. Dunno if it's part of the election fall-out.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yesterday the leader of the Oathkeepers was sentenced to 18 years for Seditious Conspiracy for his part in planning Jan 6th although he never entered the building. Another Oathkeeper got twelve years - MAGA is going mad about the communist weaponisation of the DOJ by Dems - although this was decided by jury and judge. One of the judges was appointed by Obama, also they are seizing on the fact Rhodes never entered The Capitol, ignoring the fact that his crime was deemed to be planning.

I've often mentioned how right-wing twitter seemingly gets its talking points - orders almost - from a central command and then they are repeated by all accounts. Well, right now, in relation to this and more, one of the main points is that the juries are stuffed with Dems and so the courts are corrupt.

So, the reason Kari Lake lost her attempts to overturn the election is cos the court was corrupt. And the reason there were no charges in the Durham report is cos he knew that he couldn't win. This is a good one cos although he concluded that no charges could be brought, commentators are spinning it to say that he concluded lots of people were guilty, and combined with this it means, say, while he actually said that there was no crime Obama could be charged with, MAGA are taking it as he concluded Obama was guilty and should be charged but he decided not to because the courts would let him off.