Are You Shy?

I'm either very shy or overbearing. Like a vampire that has to be invited in. Once in, there's quickly blood on the floor as I start biting. I'd find me unbearable probably, especially after a few drinks.

luka

I'm either very shy or overbearing. Like a vampire that has to be invited in. Once in, there's quickly blood on the floor as I start biting. I'd find me unbearable probably, especially after a few drinks.

I've got a feeling this is the basic dissensus personality template

luka

The trick is to get a bottle of wine down him, then he comes magically to life, like a wind up toy you've just turned the key in.

luka

I think our base level of shyness is about the same but we have different techniques for managing it

craner

Beast of Burden
Shyness, laziness, lack of self-esteem are the three things that have held me back in life. I managed to overcome them all to an extent, but not to the extent of actually fulfilling my staggering potential. The Foyles staff used to be full of people like me.

luka

I've not managed to totally overcome any of those formidable enemies. Particularly not laziness.

Hmm you both strike me as quite confident on here. Luka IRL pretty much aligned with his dissensus avatar, a bit taller surprisingly.

craner

Beast of Burden
I worked it out myself. It wasn't exactly hard to work out. In fact, I knew it would happen like that from the beginning.

luka

Hmm you both strike me as quite confident on here. Luka IRL pretty much aligned with his dissensus avatar, a bit taller surprisingly.

For me, and possibly for Craner, it's the sense of myself when faced with 'The Real World' that's the issue. The impossibility of placing myself in that landscape.

luka

Where the grown ups live. It's difficult to imagine being taken seriously by the big people.

luka

They've always had an impatience with me and my kind. Their system of priorities is very different, where their attention is focusessd. Their sense of the world. I should be publishing books and have a public profile and be in the world in a way which has always felt impossible, but probably shouldn't feel impossible.

Acting in the world, being an agent, being visible. It's like a higher sphere of existence and individuation, or feels like it. This is part of what I was trying to convey in the Shining Ones thread.

luka

I remember being interviewed for a university place when I was in my twenties and toying with the idea of starting again and coming up against it. This sense of being deemed the wrong sort of person. Not allowed through the door. Like there's a code no one ever taught me. They don't even understand how yo u came to be sitting there. Must have been some failure in the selection process for you to have even got an interview.

luka

Of course if I don't want anything from them I can browbeat them into submission with no trouble. It's the power imbalance in those scenarios that opens this stuff up.

catalog

you seem to have some deep suspicion of all the authorities that most of us have just got on with. we are all brainwashed. i don't know whethe rits better to be brainwashed or not brainwashed though.

luka

There's a story Reynolds told to me and Barty that really stuck in our heads he said I knew I wanted to be a music writer so as soon as I finished my degree at Oxford I went to Melody Maker and knocked on their door and said, I wish to write for you and they said, well ok kid, sure, when can you start?

It's these things that teach you some people are just another species entirely and not subject to the same limits you are confined to

poetix

we murder to dissect
I don't think I'm shy. Reserved, sometimes, but I can walk into a room of unknown people and start introducing myself to randoms, or stand up in front of a hall full of people and speak without much in the way of nerves. However, I have a deadly horror of "making a fuss", and am generally far too meek and acquiescent for my own good.