Future Music

poetix

we murder to dissect
Some thoughts on musical trends I have been observing on YouTube:

This is an interesting emerging feature of modern music, driven I think by YouTube and Instagram: an extraordinary profusion of virtuosity, from Jacob Collier to Tim Henson, alongside increasing theoretical sophistication - the Berklee Imperium! - spread by YouTubers like Adam Neely and Rick Beato. Together with the wide accessibility of digital tools that would have been the exclusive preserve of high-end producers a decade ago, the conditions are right for, well, what exactly?

On the one hand, a sort of Oulipian sensibility, where ingenious mash-ups and études intended primarily to showcase technique are the order of the day; on the other, a sort of off-the-hook playfulness, as techniques are absorbed and normalised, so that what used to look scarily proficient becomes part of the standard bag of tricks everybody knows - just as you really can’t impress anybody by two-handed tapping triplet arpeggios on a guitar any more.

luka

this is interesting and relates to the increasing competence of internet yoof

luka

so the competence time scale shrinks to an alarming degree they are a new breed trhese kids and its threatening and exhilerating at once

linebaugh

"the Berklee Imperium! - spread by YouTubers like Adam Neely and Rick Beato. Together with the wide accessibility of digital tools that would have been the exclusive preserve of high-end producers a decade ago, the conditions are right for, well, what exactly?"

Adam Neely himself mentioned Black Midi when asking this same question, though I don't really see how that translates through the actual music

luka

they master the tropes without beliving in them which leads to a strange aesthetic efect

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Black midi strikes me as a zone of fruitless intensification
it is, but it's a zone people have been fruitlessly intensifying for decades

Black Midi doesn't stand out that I can see from the 1000s of math rock etc (that is, using the term broadly) that came before

if they do it's in their youthful competence as luka is getting at

but even that there's always been yr music school virtuoso types

padraig (u.s.)

certainly there's something in the idea that greater competence doesn't necessarily or even usually lead to better art

version

it is, but it's a zone people have been fruitlessly intensifying for decades

Black Midi doesn't stand out that I can see from the 1000s of math rock etc (that is, using the term broadly) that came before

if they do it's in their youthful competence as luka is getting at

but even that there's always been yr music school virtuoso types
Yeah, just adding more and more notes. Steve Vai, Malmsteen, Satriani etc leading into stuff like Dragonforce and now this.

padraig (u.s.)

I like them I think theyre cool they remind of drive like jehu
well exactly, yeah

I'm not saying they're bad, just that they're not some kind of radical break with the past

they're firmly in that math rock, post-hardcore, post-metal, post-etc lineage

they're not my thing but then neither was post-hardcore