Future Music

version

I wouldn't really put dillinger or sikth into the same scene I and I beleive paradaig are talking about- slint, jesus lizard, hella, drive like jehu, scratch acid, don cab and etc.

or maybe it is apt and I just dont want them sullying the pool of artists I do like, but Im not sure theres an overlap of fans between my listed bands and dillinger, or at least not in my experience
Slint are math rock?! I always grouped them with stuff like Big Black and Shellac. Surprised you stick them alongside Hella.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I wouldn't really put dillinger or sikth into the same scene I and I beleive paradaig are talking about- slint, jesus lizard, hella, drive like jehu, scratch acid, don cab and etc.
well really they're cousins often with ties going back and forth, i.e. the Slint guys started off in a teenage hxc band called Squirrel Bait

Dillinger etc are the next generation - late 90s vs late 80s/early 90s - and more influenced by metal, more technical

but it's all in the same continuum

linebaugh

Slint are math rock?! I always grouped them with stuff like Big Black and Shellac. Surprised you stick them alongside Hella.

You could throw big black and shellac in that list too, its the greater noise rock/math rock/post hard core continuum of the 90's. Albini adjacent stuff. In my experience they have shared fans. Math rock warped into something completely idiosyncratic and awful after which makes the term confusing

padraig (u.s.)

noise rock and math rock/post-rock are cousins, albeit noise rock doesn't have to be technical (i.e. be prog)

if you think about Slint - odd time signatures etc - you can see it

version

I guess it all blurs together with progressive metal and whatnot for me, so sticking Slint in there throws me off.

padraig (u.s.)

well yeah noise rock and its relationship with hardcore, post-hardcore, and etc can be confusing

original noise rock in the 80s was - especially in America - almost all hardcore-adjacent but not hardcore

i.e. Big Black, Scratch Acid/The Jesus Lizard, Butthole Surfers, etc

and the band that (basically) invented noise rock - Flipper - also pioneered slow hardcore that Black Flag etc later took and run with

which Nirvana et al then took and gussied up with 70s classic rock hooks etc to conquer the world with grunge

meanwhile - early 90s - part of hardcore become "post-hardcore" and/or screamo, and cross-pollinated with the mathier ends of 80s indie

then that mid-late 90s next gen of technical hardcore, metalcore, etc - that's where Dillinger etc come in

and that soon cross-pollinates with prog metal and djent and whatever

meanwhile emo becomes Dashboard Confessional, math-rock becomes regular shitty prog, the early 00s rock zeitgeist is a return to basics i.e. The Strokes

padraig (u.s.)

the tl;dr version is as Lemmy (possibly) said, once the punks (i.e. anyone) learn to play their instruments, they'll play metal

it's a curse - once you achieve technical competence at a certain level, it's hard to resist the temptation to display it constantly

this is, again, why Nile Rodgers is a genius songwriter

Prince too - at the height of his game, a master of strategically deploying virtuosity in service of the tune rather than the other way around

padraig (u.s.)

this is kind of the hardcore proper version of what Converge, Dillinger, etc were doing at the same time

screamo crossed with powerviolence, or "emoviolence" which is a stupid but also pretty awesome name

it wasn't my jam as a teenager, but I find it almost infinitely preferable to all that kind of technical metalcore but ymmv

the dissonance etc is in service - like Prince - of the vibe, rather than wankery to show off yr muso chops

and unlike most of that prog metalcore etc biz it maintains hardcore's true virtue, its energy/intensity

Last edited:

poetix

we murder to dissect
I'm not sure how I'd even categorise someone like Yvette Young -

it's proggy, and metal-ish, but in a sort of vague, Penguin Cafe Orchestra-ish sort of way. Whereas this is sort of easy-listening smooth jazz:

This is quite a good example of the "Oulipian" tendency I was talking about - tuning all the strings of the guitar to the same note - perhaps all the missing "E"s from Perec's La Disparition...

luka

I thought you might of had Yvette Young in mind they made me start watching those in lockdown

woops

is not like other people
This is quite a good example of the "Oulipian" tendency I was talking about - tuning all the strings of the guitar to the same note - perhaps all the missing "E"s from Perec's La Disparition...
those can be found in Les Revenentes / The Exeter Text