Leo

The 70s and 80s are beautiful on the West Side though. Don't write it all off.

Oh yeah, the majority of the west side is fine, and Hell's Kitchen still has low-to-moderate income housing. But there are whole blocks in the 50s and 60s that are redeveloped from former industrial/warehouse districts that are pretty horrible.

shakahislop

For generations, St. Mark's Place (and by extension, TSq Park) has attracted a certain element unique to Manhattan. You're right, the EV isn't cheap but there are still lots of rent controlled apartments that still house old punks who moved there in the '80s, so it retains a certain freewheeling vibe you don't find elsewhere on the island. My wife even keeps her non-rent controlled apartment below $2k, a nod towards honoring the old neighborhood.

leo i'm moving into your wife's apartment. good for her, that is the kind of thing which makes the world a better place.

yeah this is what i had vaguely imagined might have been happening. i keep thinking this about the lower east side (in the older, broader sense of the term) as compared to the fancy bits of brooklyn, somehow the demographic replacement has been less comprehensive, greenpoint and williamsburg these days feel like its almost everyone. i assumed all the projects have something to do with it but it also makes sense that there would be a load of rent controlled places. the other thing about the east village in particular is that it feels like the 80s and 90s thing was composed of people who had enough money to eventually buy places, and they've stuck around. the same with some of the theatres and other institutions that have been there for ages, there's a surprising number of them for somewhere that expensive. williamsburg is again a good point of comparison, is there much left from that 00s wave of incomers? maybe some bars.

don't know if you've been to earth room, you probably have, but that always comes to mind when i think about this kind of thing. the way they've managed to maintain an art installation in 30 years in SoHo, presumably coz they started out when it was cheap. dream house must be a similar thing as well.

sus

Martin-Sheen-young.jpg