version

n+1 is a real slog, incredibly boring, do not recommend

I found this fairly interesting, but think it's the only thing I've read on there.

IdleRich

IdleRich
A digression into a question about the language that divides us here...

yeah he's not a great writer.

i liked this bit:

The downtown scene’s tendency to practice scapegoating...

I'm guessing that that's not a mistake, so is it the case that unlike in English English where we differentiate between that word as a noun (Practice makes perfect) and as a verb (the tendency to practise scapegoating) by spelling, in American English they do not?

How about other similar words such as licence/license?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
A digression into a question about the language that divides us here...

I'm guessing that that's not a mistake, so is it the case that unlike in English English where we differentiate between that word as a noun (Practice makes perfect) and as a verb (the tendency to practise scapegoating) by spelling, in American English they do not?

How about other similar words such as licence/license?
Yeah to my knowledge we use the term ‘practice’ for both forms.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah to my knowledge we use the term ‘practice’ for both forms.
And licence? I mean is it something that you simply don't do at all, or I have I just happened on the one case where you don't bother?

Though maybe it's not actually that widespread in real English anyway cos now I bring it up I'm not sure how many other examples I can think of - there is advice and advise but the pronunciation differs. And conversely to the first ones we have words where the spelling is the same but we say them differently - for example the noun envelOPE and the verb enVELope.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
And licence? I mean is it something that you simply don't do at all, or I have I just happened on the one case where you don't bother?

I'm not sure how many other examples I can think of though now I bring it up - there is advice and advise but the pronunciation differs. And conversely to the first ones we have words where the spelling is the same but we say them differently - for example the noun envelOPE and the verb enVELope.
With license/licence I’m not sure, but I’m kinda drunk now and spellcheck is telling me ‘license’ is the correct spelling and I’m not about to rage against the machine in this state.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've just found the same, from what I've read, you simplify practice/practise to practice, but you simplify licence/license to license. Language is a funny old thing isn't it

version

You know what it reminds me of? That Bolano story, The Labyrinth. That tells a story based on a picture of some intellectuals socializing at a cafe

Labyrinth.jpg

They’re seated. They’re looking at the camera. They are, from left to right: J. Henric, J.-J. Goux, Ph. Sollers, J. Kristeva, M.-Th. Réveillé, P. Guyotat, C. Devade and M. Devade.

There’s no photo credit.

Literature brushes past these literary creatures and kisses them on the lips, but they don’t even notice.

This was so bad I couldn't finish it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Although, completely on my own and without anyone at all pointing it out or otherwise reminding me, I've just remembered that the verb form of that is actually without an "e" ie envelop so it's not a good example here.

Though, he envelopes that pile of envelopes, would work I guess.

shakahislop

eamon harkin and justin carter deserve write-ups in this thread. i would do it. but i don't know anything about them except thier names

IdleRich

IdleRich
Although, completely on my own and without anyone at all pointing it out or otherwise reminding me, I've just remembered that the verb form of that is actually without an "e" ie envelop so it's not a good example here.

Frequent and frequent works though (is that ok @woops you fucking spelling nazi - can you believe he actually sent me a formal email correcting my spelling with envelope)