Michael Mann

version

Finally watched Collateral last night. Thought it was great. Love the way he shoots LA, those overhead shots of people driving. The now-trademark deafeningly-loud gunshots. Also love how cold and unsentimental he can be. You don't tend to get anything like the villain magically coming back from the dead for one final shock with Mann. If they're dead, they're dead.

version

Nolan's films look a bit like Mann's without the style. They share that cold "realism", but Mann's got some flair and a better ear.

version

That club scene from Collateral has to have been an influence on the one from John Wick.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Collateral is brilliant. The only other post Heat one I've seen is Miami Vice, which was abysmal.

version

I'm gonna rewatch that one soon. I saw it at the cinema with my dad in 2006 and all I can remember is the final shootout was one of the loudest things I've ever heard.

I'm gonna rewatch Heat too as I got it on DVD for Christmas.

version

I'll probably rewatch Thief and Manhunter too and finally get round to The Keep and The Insider. Not too fussed about seeing Ali, The Last of the Mohicans, Public Enemies and Blackhat.

luka

I've not seen many of these. Not quite adult films in the proper sense but pseudo adult films so Nolan seems a decent comparison yes I agree

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'll probably rewatch Thief and Manhunter too and finally get round to The Keep and The Insider. Not too fussed about seeing Ali, The Last of the Mohicans, Public Enemies and Blackhat.
Thief soundtrack.... well, basically this tune, I fucking love it

version

maxresdefault.jpg

craner

Beast of Burden
In the episode he's a cold blooded Cuban drug-dealing killer who never leaves his yacht. It's fucking brilliant!