Carl Craig sonic art space

sufi

lala
Love the bloke. a proto @craner in many respects, an inverted snob par excellence.

I'm the true post-snob though. got into Carl Craig long after jungle. What Morressy should have sounded like all along. Still not as great as 93 mindfuck 8 bit 128 kbps bottom of the filthy sink plug hole full of fag ash darkside though Which is why i can never be an inverted snob.
That reminds me I came across this recently and wanted to share with you all

BLDGBLOG on Jace Clayton (DJRupture) on Carl Craig the fine artist.
carlcraig.jpg

I used to follow those 2 back in the blogging days and this is a nice writeup about an interesting thing that CC has done, good to see Jace is in the fancy art press nowadays, https://www.artforum.com/print/202005/jace-clayton-on-carl-craig-at-dia-beacon-82809 don't think he ever posted here but he was the type.I always liked bldgblogs dreamy musings a lot.
There is something of “a sonic axiom,” Clayton writes: “Amplified music sounds terrible in empty rooms. The less stuff there is in any given space, the more sound waves will bounce around the walls and ceiling and glass, losing definition as they both interrupt and double themselves. The resulting audio is smeary, muffled, and diffuse. However, when the same space fills with bodies moving around, those waves are absorbed, dampening those irksome reflections and allowing us to hear the sound more powerfully and in far greater detail.”

Leo

I was going to get tickets to see the opening of this at Dia but then corona. Jace has been contributing to artforum for awhile now, well before spendy's BK Cultural Mafia moved to town. met him a couple of times, I'm of two minds: enjoy some of his music and writing but can be a bit snooty.

sufi

lala
I was going to get tickets to see the opening of this at Dia but then corona. Jace has been contributing to artforum for awhile now, well before spendy's BK Cultural Mafia moved to town. met him a couple of times, I'm of two minds: enjoy some of his music and writing but can be a bit snooty.
i found his mixes a bit clanging and tokenist tbh, but some of his writing hit that pretentiousness that we all aspire to around here

john eden

male pale and stale
Saw Jace with Andy Moor at OTO a few years back playing kinda post-rock stuff over some films. (One was a long film of shots along the whole US/Mexico border). Great show.

catalog

There was a kerfuffle with mc nomad wasn't there, he robbed some pr money from rupture or something?

I remember his blog and mixes tho, he had a right mash up thing going on.

muser

Didn't he post here or am I just getting him mixed up with dj ripley they were kind from the same group weren't they?

sufi

lala
Yeah Yeah I just only read the blog years ago & it seems like that geezer actually is everybody at dissensus bffs blimey

What about the Art?
Did Carl Craig make a successful crossover?

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
There is something of “a sonic axiom,” Clayton writes: “Amplified music sounds terrible in empty rooms. The less stuff there is in any given space, the more sound waves will bounce around the walls and ceiling and glass, losing definition as they both interrupt and double themselves. The resulting audio is smeary, muffled, and diffuse. However, when the same space fills with bodies moving around, those waves are absorbed, dampening those irksome reflections and allowing us to hear the sound more powerfully and in far greater detail.”

there's also something beautiful about sounds bouncing around walls and ceilings though, such as massive organs in gigantic churches.