Carl Craig sonic art space

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
we're overlapping now, because yes, like hardcore it was very much the sound of the future, all the tech being pushed to it's limits, although without a focus on sound quality until a few years later which i think for many of you here signified the end of the good old days anyway. but disco a mechanised machine music? nah man. take the blinkers off. you know even our man Hardy was playing the sweet and loose just as much as the robotic, in fact that's what made him so exhilarating.

By machine music I don't necessarily mean robotic - although that is certainly one proto-techno aspect of it yes. I mean that disco as you said stripped everything down to a factory assembly line 4-4 groove. It's why disco as a whole is kickdrum dominated (despite all the percussive and afrocuban tinges which are layered over the top) be that analog or digital. This comes from the gay scene as you probably know. The more classic breakbeaty funk which was looser and less steady was more of a straighter thing. Something of authenticity - tighten up! rather than dance trance abandon. By machine we aren't just talking about robots but the process of automation.

E.G: this is totally machinic music.

You get this with Can and the german guys in the early 70s. It's not a music of robots but they use the electrical amplification to interface with a machinic aspect inherent within electrical current as such.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
another way to think about what I'm saying is to think of disco as the mechanisation of rnb and soul music.

Obviously this fully flowered with synthesisers but you get there even here, with the band format.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
You get this with Can and the german guys in the early 70s. It's not a music of robots but they use the electrical amplification to interface with a machinic aspect inherent within electrical current as such.

A force of nature like Jaki Liebezeit helped.

sus

Thirdform, my comment really triggered you! Who hurt you? What is this really about?

sus

Third's favorite maneuver is "let me tell you what you mean by that; no, you don't know and your opinion is meaningless, that's why I'm telling you"

luka

thirds assembly line disco is a very good one even if as patty says it doesnt conform with reality at all points

sus

I do want to read these very long messages about how I'm wrong about everything but I will need to sit down with a cup of coffee and reading glasses

Leo

Third's favorite maneuver is "let me tell you what you mean by that; no, you don't know and your opinion is meaningless, that's why I'm telling you"

embrace it as a teachable moment, spendy. he does it to everyone, because he's smarter than all of us. and it's (one of the many reasons) why we love him.

sus

embrace it as a teachable moment, spendy. he does it to everyone, because he's smarter than all of us. and it's (one of the many reasons) why we love him.
Fake news! I'm Mr Smarty Pants, it's on my drivers license. I challenge third to a neutral battle of wits. First, n+1 staff writer trivia—followed by a quiz on local Wisconsin history plus a speed-recital of Ben Lerner's latest poetry.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Fake news! I'm Mr Smarty Pants, it's on my drivers license. I challenge third to a neutral battle of wits. First, n+1 staff writer trivia—followed by a quiz on local Wisconsin history plus a speed-recital of Ben Lerner's latest poetry.

Not into that bourgeois shit mate, will have to find someone else.