The Mighty 100 of Polystyle Desu!!

Leo

Not to defend Google, but it's an exchange, isn't it? YouTube provides artists with a free platform to expose their song to the world, and in exchange Google gets to sell ads against it. Hearing the track on YT can lead me to buy an album, go see the artist live, etc. This isn't some shady maneuver by YT, you know that's the deal going in. It's up to the artist to decide if they want to make that exchange or not.

Are YT clicks like radio airplay or Spotify streams, where artists get a (meager) payment per play?

Also, don't some content creators make money off YT ads? I don't know anything about how that works, probably doesn't apply to songs, dunno.

catalog

Think the main difference with yt as opposed to Spotify is that on yt, it's usually not the artist that has uploaded it. More likely a fan? You do have official yt channels by artists or labels, but the overwhelming majority of music videos are posted by channels that have no affiliation.

And pretty sure that unless it is an official artist channel, the artist sees no money.

This explains the frequent takedowns and why so many videos are dead links now... Cos presumably the artist does complain or YouTube spots an infringement.

Yt is a fantastic resource and cos of the way it was set up, the balance of power is quite well weighted towards the consumer, I would say. Very easy to set up and post videos.

But the creep of ads over the years is very noticeable. I suppose they've gotta monetise it one way or another.

polystyle

Think the main difference with yt as opposed to Spotify is that on yt, it's usually not the artist that has uploaded it. More likely a fan? You do have official yt channels by artists or labels, but the overwhelming majority of music videos are posted by channels that have no affiliation.

And pretty sure that unless it is an official artist channel, the artist sees no money.

This explains the frequent takedowns and why so many videos are dead links now... Cos presumably the artist does complain or YouTube spots an infringement.

Yt is a fantastic resource and cos of the way it was set up, the balance of power is quite well weighted towards the consumer, I would say. Very easy to set up and post videos.

But the creep of ads over the years is very noticeable. I suppose they've gotta monetise it one way or another.

As a longtime record maker, it was a shock the first time to see distros put one's release AUTOMATICALLY onto *potify.
Without asking even.

And right Catalog - this beef w Youtube ( one of a few ) -
every time something is released, then friendly people post it.
I never really mind.
Maybe 10 x i have gotten YT to do a takedown.

But w YT yer host , you don't get to see any info ?
That's how these co's screwed everybody, like them or not.
Went down to Congress some years back when supporting music rights coalition
because *potify and Pandora were spending alot of $ to lobby for REDUCING the less then a penny one might get for a play.

Another thing we were livid about was , here in US, radio doesn't have to pay when an artists song is played over air !
One of only a few countries were this is still true : (

catalog

I put together page 1 into an hour mix, all the tunes but different order

Erykah Badu - 'Telephone'
Female - Blood Tide (Regis Mix)
Generation X - Your Generation
Grouper - Clearing
PIL (Public Image Ltd) - Public Image (Public Image)
Roxy Music - Thrill Of It All
Run-DMC - Sucker MC's
Ryuichi Sakamoto - 'ZURE'
Shifted - Lénine
Suicide - Ghost Rider
The Church of The Apostles
the end of europe
Tropic of Cancer - Stop Suffering

polystyle

I put together page 1 into an hour mix, all the tunes but different order

Erykah Badu - 'Telephone'
Female - Blood Tide (Regis Mix)
Generation X - Your Generation
Grouper - Clearing
PIL (Public Image Ltd) - Public Image (Public Image)
Roxy Music - Thrill Of It All
Run-DMC - Sucker MC's
Ryuichi Sakamoto - 'ZURE'
Shifted - Lénine
Suicide - Ghost Rider
The Church of The Apostles
the end of europe
Tropic of Cancer - Stop Suffering
Hey cheers and thank you catalog , i appreciate it , hopefully others can enjoy.
There will be one more inversion to top it off.
And thanks Sufi for suggesting it

Leo

cars are pretty essential in most places, tbf. but they are certainly a nice-to-have not a need-to-have in cities like NY, and I'd imagine London, Paris.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Wheels are pretty essential where I am. But just had a 200 quid bill cos the boot won't open so I'm not a happy driver today!
Mine in the garage getting a new clutch... 450. Still, could have been worse, when I went there the guy said "It's the end" and I thought the whole thing was busted, but he just meant it's the end for the clutch. Also got five hundred euros worth of speeding tickets this month.... but yeah, it's weird having a car, never needed one in twenty years in London.

Leo

geez, rich the speed demon! how many tickets is that to total 500 euros? here, you get points for every violation and license is suspended temporarily and then permanently when you reach certain point levels.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I think that I've been done four times where the motorway comes into town and the speed limit changes from 120 to 50 but there's no sign. I've been hit with fines going back to 2019 this month, never knew I was doing anything wrong. Pretty sneaky I think.

IdleRich

IdleRich
But yeah four 120 fines for doing about 90 in a 50 and another 60 Euro fine. 540 total... dunno if I get points on my licence, the fines are all addressed to my girlfriend cos car is in her name... so guess I'm off the hook. In the UK they would wanna know the driver for sure... maybe they will get round to that in a year or two.

polystyle

Imagination - admitting to an outsized influence here.
sometimes those keyboard sounds just date one , pin you right there !

But anyway, a great track i would always be happy to hear in an airport hanging round killing time , in a line or half resting on bench or in a deli when you are buying a lighter, random car drives by ...

Reactions: Leo