bun-u

Trumpet Police
That omnivorous appearance is in part affected by the demands of the profession. If you are only talking about your own interests and not contributing you get seen as a nuisance and a weirdo. This is why there is a certain cynicism to be found in these critics who all talk about each another's chosen 'worthy' examples from whatever fields they're into. Not to say he can't enjoy all kinds of music, just that Third and Luka are responding more to what his passion/niche is rather than whatever he speaks his mind on.
I think his/the holy grail is to be Alexis Petridis - where your reviews slip seamlessly between 'debut from a five-piece kicking up a storm with their raucous live shows in South London' to 'the rapper, who dropped his mixtape last year...'

Benny Bunter

I think his/the holy grail is to be Alexis Petridis - where your reviews slip seamlessly between 'debut from a five-piece kicking up a storm with their raucous live shows in South London' to 'the rapper, who dropped his mixtape last year...'
I was thinking the same, he's like the UK dance Petri-dish.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

Joe McPhee - Nation Time

Shakey Jake is on the B side of this album, but I love the title track

WHAT TIME IS IT?

NATION TIME

Great album, title track is better of course but more fre than jazzfunk. But often the best jazz funk was recorded in the early 70s.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah, I'm derailing the thread - no autotune evidenced here

Kanye was the best exponent in a western rnb/hip hop context I feel. Love Lockdown and Heartless. Could never get with Travi$ Scott, Quavo, etc. too cartoonish. I've never really liked overtly childish or innocent music, what I like about hardcore is it's post-edenic, moments of bliss interspersed with nasty tearout riffs from hades. But something like Eurodance is horrifying to me for this reason, it's simply edenic.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Also quite like the way Chief Keef used it. abject-tune, nihilistic. None of that goblin nonce romantic pastoral bizniz!

Young Thug up until Jeffery as well. That's when the tenticled amphibian reptile stuff resonated the most. But after that it all felt done to death for me.

So actually interested to read that bit of the book. Because for me it's already over. I'm not sure where you can go from there. But let's see what bart man has in store for me.

CrowleyHead

Honestly I don't think anything about Thug that was great was his auto-tune usage but like.... I had this fight with Barty too lol.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Honestly I don't think anything about Thug that was great was his auto-tune usage but like.... I had this fight with Barty too lol.

Sure it's about the weird contortions of voice and the types of rhythmic syncopations he used, but I mean autotune itself is a very one dimensional effect. Everything that can possibly be done by it has already been done. It's just extra accelerated glissando.

That's why I advised people to read that Whitney rupture article but they don't seem to be interested. Which like whatever, I get why people can criticise Rupture, but at the same time he actually takes the time to be keyed into the street musics of MENA.