The importance of "bad" music/art

william_kent

I'm just bitter because I bought his book expecting an "oral history of Sound System" and there were no Jamaicans involved, only one guy ( Dennis Bovell, a Bermudan ) who actually ran a sound ( although maybe Dillinja is in there, can't remember, dull as fuck book ) - no mention of Count Suckle, Duke Vin, or any of the pioneers of UK Sound System, just a bunch of DJs who've played on a funktion one club system - feel ripped off... nothing about the box boys, box builders, Errol the engineer, nothing about anyone who has actually run a suicide rig at a warehouse or free party..

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'm just bitter because I bought his book expecting an "oral history of Sound System" and there were no Jamaicans involved, only one guy ( Dennis Bovell, a Bermudan ) who actually ran a sound ( although maybe Dillinja is in there, can't remember, dull as fuck book ) - no mention of Count Suckle, Duke Vin, or any of the pioneers of UK Sound System, just a bunch of DJs who've played on a funktion one club system - feel ripped off... nothing about the box boys, box builders, Errol the engineer, nothing about anyone who has actually run a suicide rig at a warehouse or free party..

TBF you can't really expect 99% of white dance music journalists to write that history, mainly cos its so foreign to them, whereas, to crassly generalise, Jamaica only really becomes the thing for this lot in the 89-91 period. Before that there might have been dub influence in post-punk but they weren't listening to Admiral Tibet or Tenor Saw.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
But the funny thing is quite a few of the sound systems themselves in LDN were run by white geezers. Jah Tubbys, Eastmans sound, etc.

Eastman is actually an interesting case in this. He was never really an 88-89 acid house guy, if you can track down the interview he did with Uncle Dugs you'll hear this.

And I think that's illustrative of the problems of dance music journalism, it has no sense of scenes peripheral to itself before a certain inauguration date.

luka

funnily enough i only just found out eastman is white the other week when Lee Fagan did an interview with him. all those years of listening to him and i never knew

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
funnily enough i only just found out eastman is white the other week when Lee Fagan did an interview with him. all those years of listening to him and i never knew

Way before 2014 I also thought Colin Faver was black and Colin Dale was white. Other way around when some older head told me.

william_kent

􏰮􏰴􏰵􏰨􏱉􏰚􏰦􏰵􏰫􏰵􏰫􏰥􏰵􏰦􏰧􏰱􏰲􏰷Colonel Mite – Bless The Selector

A Jah Tubbys classic

BO! BIM!

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this is the tune which Derrick May played btw. It's alright but it's really not as good as the hard trance from 92

Compare with

Leo

do you rate koxbox, @thirdform? I have a few of their early things, the only trance I own. I used to like it but haven't taken a listen in ages.

william_kent

as for dub techno, Basic Channel, Maurizio, & Chain Reaction set the bar really fucking high - no one else compares

boxedjoy

the role of the critic is first to understand what the work is and what it's aiming to accomplish, and then judge it on how well it does in accomplishing that goal (regardless of whether the critic personally likes or agrees with the style and goal).
this is so key, isn't it. People criticising stuff for not being what they want it to be, rather than meeting it on its own terms, it's pointless.

luka

this is so key, isn't it. People criticising stuff for not being what they want it to be, rather than meeting it on its own terms, it's pointless.
its not though is it, it's just a different level of judgement