sus

American pop culture is the best machine for liberalism ever created. But unfortunately it is co opted now by Disney and is stagnating. We need to launch terrorist operations on Marvel IP until it becomes financially unviable and the monopoly is broken

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Tea we need to violently suppress the spread of illiberal beliefs maybe Kissinger was on to something
We need to round up all the illiberal people, put them in big camps and forcibly re-educate them.

It's for their own good and they'll thank us for it in the end.

Reactions: sus

version

My dad's been banging on for ages about wanting to read this book, The Mushroom at the End of the World, so I picked it up for him for Father's Day.

Reading it myself at the moment as FD's about a week away and it's not what I expected. A lot of talk of assemblages and references to Marx and Donna Haraway and Japanese poetry. Not sure how much he's going to like it.

Underwhelming, thus far.

It's supposed to be structured in line with her themes, i.e. it's a fragmented, rhizomatic sort of thing, but in practice what you're presented with reads like a loose series of flimsy New Yorker articles. It's also quite clunky and repetitive. She'll use a phrase or term several times on a single page and it takes me right out of it.

Another issue's I just don't get a sense she really knows what she's talking about or what the thrust of her arguments are. She jumps from tidbit to tidbit with the odd sprinkle of theory where she'll make some vague attempt at updating Marx and it just isn't convincing.

It's improved now the focus is on the people doing the picking in Oregon. You've got this tangle of military veterans, economic migrants, refugees, all mixing, or not, in forest encampments. This leads into an interesting discussion of the US-Japan relationship and how various business practices have bounced back and forth between the two, also the impact of internment during WW2 on Japanese-Americans and how that's shaped their behaviour re: assimilation in contrast to other groups like the Hmong and Lao who don't feel the same pressure to conform.

luka

gus said he had sex with a girl once. we were opening up when we met each other. he said she had dragon energy, irrational, wild. she had a crotch-hole he said. she was called paula.

luka

edmund said he knows how the dates of impregnation align and so on. again i must stress i dont know. ita just what edmund davie said concerning mr teas child and the sex schedule of his lady.

sus

It's improved now the focus is on the people doing the picking in Oregon. You've got this tangle of military veterans, economic migrants, refugees, all mixing, or not, in forest encampments. This leads into an interesting discussion of the US-Japan relationship and how various business practices have bounced back and forth between the two, also the impact of internment during WW2 on Japanese-Americans and how that's shaped their behaviour re: assimilation in contrast to other groups like the Hmong and Lao who don't feel the same pressure to conform.
Where were you in the book when you first posted / where are you now?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
edmund always says its not teas kid its edmunds kid and if you look at its face its obvious. he said it again today. i havent seen the kid i cant comment.
@luka: Tea is a poo head.
@WashYourHands: This is literally the most brilliant and cutting satire I have ever encountered. Physically convulsing with laughter here.

version

Where were you in the book when you first posted / where are you now?

When I first posted I was around 30 - 40 pages in, second post was around 60 and I'm currently about 120 pages in. It feels as though it's about to get bad again though as she's just referred to picked mushrooms as 'trophies of freedom' that become part of the body of the forager as opposed to 'commodities', even though she says they're picking them to be sold. Just seems stupid. An irritatingly precious attempt at playing around with Marx.

• Haha

sus

When I first posted I was around 30 - 40 pages in, second post was around 60 and I'm currently about 120 pages in. It feels as though it's about to get bad again though as she's just referred to picked mushrooms as 'trophies of freedom' that become part of the body of the forager as opposed to 'commodities', even though she says they're picking them to be sold. Just seems stupid. An irritatingly precious attempt at playing around with Marx.
If you do find particular chapters useful I'd be incredibly indebted. Made it through the first 70-80 pages and tailed off, would be real useful to precision-strike the good sections

version

If you do find particular chapters useful I'd be incredibly indebted. Made it through the first 70-80 pages and tailed off, would be real useful to precision-strike the good sections

Chapter 6 - War Stories
Chapter 7 - What Happened to the State? Two Kinds of Asian Americans
Chapter 8 - Between the Dollar and the Yen

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
4 sons for my sins, making up for the depopulation issues others contest they’re experiencing
I feel genuinely sorry for the poor cunts.

Imagine having a dad who carries on like this on the Internet at the age of 60. What a fucking tragedy.