craner

Beast of Burden

It just occurred to me when you said it, but I think it's true. I'll have to think about it a bit more. But if you believe that populism is a real force in current Western politics, then you could argue that the populist leaders (including Trump) are at the mercy of the desires, fears and prejudices of their supporters. See the way Trump is having to tread such a delicate line on the vaccine, which he likes to take credit for but which his supporters hate.

version

It just occurred to me when you said it, but I think it's true. I'll have to think about it a bit more. But if you believe that populism is a real force in current Western politics, then you could argue that the populist leaders (including Trump) are at the mercy of the desires, fears and prejudices of their supporters. See the way Trump is having to tread such a delicate line on the vaccine, which he likes to take credit for but which his supporters hate.
That's a good point. The politicians riding the wave are at the mercy of it.

craner

Beast of Burden
It's a point that deserves more exploration, because this neo-populist wave has new characteristics that differentiate it from previous populist waves and movements.

version

I think enforced civility without tackling the source of people's anger probably riles them up even more too. Your life gets worse, but you aren't allowed to express your feelings about it.

luka

Not laughing cos it's a bad point just laughing at you telling yourself it's a good point that's all.

luka

Reynolds makes a similar but slightly more sophisticated point about the relationship between the DJs and Producers on the one hand and what he calls 'The Massive' on the other and the feedbacks in operation there

luka

Everyone has worked in the service industry now anyway and they all know you just smile politely and say I understand your concerns and wait till they calm down

craner

Beast of Burden
Reynolds makes a similar but slightly more sophisticated point about the relationship between the DJs and Producers on the one hand and what he calls 'The Massive' on the other and the feedbacks in operation there

My point is going to be waaaay more sophisticated when I have finished with it.

version

Everyone has worked in the service industry now anyway and they all know you just smile politely and say I understand your concerns and wait till they calm down
I once panicked on a till as a teenager and IDed a guy for rizlas who was probably in his 20s then couldn't back down because I thought I'd get fined for selling them to him anyway without him having produced any; really bizarre situation. I realised how ridiculous it was as soon as it happened and he was going mad and I just started laughing and apologising until he left.

luka

he will be remembered by a significant chunk of the country as one of the Greatest Presidents Ever and fondly remembered even by democrats as a comparatively harmless clown