version

I always imagined this kind of stuff would be really silly and dismissed it out of hand. But I was flicking through twitter and I saw someone describing this album and in particular this song in a way that made. it sound pretty good, and so I listened to it and indeed it is pretty good.

When I look at it on discogs it is described as doom/stoner rock but really when I listen to it it just sounds like it grew out of the heavier end of seventies fuzz psych - where did this sound come from? I always kinda assumed that they came from out of metal but when I listen it seems entirely possible that it came directly from psych without any detour into metal - but of course it's equally possible that this band came out of metal and ended up taking another route to this point. That is something that I find quite interesting, when there are several bands that end up at the end same point but travelled there by different routes on which the important stopping points were totally unrelated.

The only thing with this that I'm not keen on is the vocals which I do find a bit silly. Or not even silly, it's just that the straining raw vocals contrast with the rich deep sound of the guitars in a way that is not what I am looking for.

A few years ago I heard that album Dopesmoker by Sleep which is the same kinda stuff, right down to the vocals which almost spoil it. The Steep one is maybe less aggressive and as a result, although that is probably not what they wanted or how most would describe it, I find that album kind deep and almost relaxing.

I remember a year or three back I was at someone's house after a club and we were fucked on K and they were playing Burzum. I had expected that to have much heavier beats but to my surprise that was also a fuzzy grinding guitar sound you could get lost in... or was that just the drugs?

It's downstream from Black Sabbath. You can hear them in every riff.

If you're not into the vocals then you could have a look at Earth. They've done a lot of instrumental tunes.

Burzum aren't particularly heavy, it wasn't just the drugs. Supposedly Varg made a point of recording at least one album with the shittiest, tinniest gear he could find as that's the sound he wanted.

wektor

It's downstream from Black Sabbath. You can hear them in every riff.

If you're not into the vocals then you could have a look at Earth. They've done a lot of instrumental tunes.

Burzum aren't particularly heavy, it wasn't just the drugs. Supposedly Varg made a point of recording at least one album with the shittiest, tinniest gear he could find as that's the sound he wanted.

there's also Melvins, their case I find an exception as the vocals on Lysol actually work, at least for me. maybe it's the delay

wektor

one of most fun neurofunk/electro overlaps I have found over the past years, it really is so much in the middle in terms of the sound palette that I cannot help but wish for more to happen within that space.
another tune that I'd also place there:
generally would love a thread on that electro/techstep/97-98 dnb common zone, thread on the latter on its own was really good

william_kent

street soul / reggae / house ( NY garage variety ) crossover

Critical Rhythm – It Could Not Happen (Dancehall Daze Version) ( 1990 )

this has a bassline to die for, which kicks in about 0:40, everything else is "bells and whistles" as far as I'm concerned

edit: fun fact, last month, on xmas day one of my fake daughters looked at my trainers and then called me a "swaggermuffin", still not sure how I should have reacted ( although I just laughed of course )

wektor

totally bummed out to discover they are playing in Tokyo 2 or 3 days before I land at Narita, I checked the gig guides and they are the only band I wanted to see while I'm in Tokyo
that's strange, I would expect plenty of stuff to be happening there? maybe smaller venues don't have the schedule for march yet?