Gen Z junglizm

forclosure

@Corpsey the reason i tell you not to do this is cause they both do that thing where they think if they surround themselves with enough young up and comers that they'll look the same age as them

but that whole illusion shatters the second somebody is like "you know that guy is actually in his early 40s"

For detractors jungles biggest flaw would be the chaotic arrangement. but thats kind of what allowed the oddness and surprise and beauty much of the time. these new takes use the signifiers and effective tropes but transplant them into the slicker but flatter world of DAW and obv some soul is lost

shakahislop

how does it differ from early rave, happy hardcore etc?
yeah interesting. i think the difference is that the pitched-up rave vocals are dehumanised in a different way. actually they still sound a bit more like a normal voice pitched up, whereas this other stuff sounds more like a singing cartoon. also i think there's a big difference for me with rave etc where it's usually a single phrase or line that's repeated, it feels more like seasoning than anything else, rather than whole bars and verses which feel more central to the tune. but you're right that they're similar, it's interesting to think about why exactly.

also i'm not 20 and it helps to be 20 to be enthusiastic about new things

shakahislop

but i don't think its over-sensitive to think that one of the things that appeals about some kinds of vocals is that they get at some form of sexuality, communicate some kind of sexual subjectivity, and there is something a bit little girly, sweet and innocent about the way this breathy close-mic'd vocal comes across. obviously that's also the case for male vocals, i'm not saying that it's just a thing with female ones

shakahislop

so in this for example something totally different is going on i think, this is the example that popped into my head straight off

but i don't think its over-sensitive to think that one of the things that appeals about some kinds of vocals is that they get at some form of sexuality, communicate some kind of sexual subjectivity, and there is something a bit little girly, sweet and innocent about the way this breathy close-mic'd vocal comes across. obviously that's also the case for male vocals, i'm not saying that it's just a thing with female ones

to do some reductive and problematic jungle gender studies you might hear a tension between masculine and feminine elements through the 90s stuff but in this recent example youre hearing an almost postgender yearning for the metaverse. thats what youre saying?

shakahislop

to do some reductive and problematic jungle gender studies you might hear a tension between masculine and feminine elements through the 90s stuff but in this recent example youre hearing an almost postgender yearning for the metaverse. thats what youre saying?
yes that's exactly what i'm saying, except obviously its a yearning for a multiplicity of metaversi, i know you meant to say that