ORIENTALISM

DannyL

Wild Horses

There's a huge subgenre of kitschy exotica out there if you get into collecting records - belly dance LPs and the like

luka

yeah... i must admit my personal taste doesn't stretch quite that far but i enjoyed Toop's book and mostly bought the arguments

DannyL

Wild Horses
yeah... i must admit my personal taste doesn't stretch quite that far but i enjoyed Toop's book and mostly bought the arguments
Is it still worth reading? I tried re-reading Ocean of Sound a while back and found it seemed really dated.

luka

i dont know i read it when i came out. never revisited. ocean of sound does seem really dated now. but i've reached a point where the datedness of that era (and it's fascination with/fetishisation of? Japan) has become charming.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Probably the worst thing about Dune was whenever the clichéd middle Eastern singing kicked in

OTOH probably the best thing was the throat singing shit when the camera was swooping over the evil planet with people being crucified upsidedown.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
babylon timewarp - Durban Poison.
Peter Gabriel of course nicked it off some Kurdish folky who most likely never got payed properly. Cracking tune, nevertheless, one of the best jungle tunes of all time infact.

What is toops argument?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
there's loads of early 90s UK house which is all orientalist as fuck but idk if any of its dated all that well.

luka

theyve got instruments out their in the mysterious orient that instantly summon up modes of being, sensibilities, states of awareness, intensities, that are completely unknown in the empirical west or are hinted at only at the western extremities, in the suggestive celtic mists, where the grey sea hurls itself against the cliffs and beyond is only emptiness