SLAITHWAITE, a chapelry, in the parishes of Huddersfield and Almondbury, union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York ; containing, with the township of Lingarths, 3726 inhabitants, of whom 2925 are in Slaithwaite township, 5 miles (W. S. W.) from Huddersfield. This chapelry comprises 3073a. 3r. 3p.: the lands are in meadow and pasture, with a small portion of arable ; the scenery is bold and romantic. In the quarries of the district are found vegetable fossils, especially firs and other mountain trees. The village is beautifully seated in the valley of the river Colne ; the inhabitants are chiefly employed in the woollen manufacture, in the spinning of cotton and silk, and in silk-weaving. Slaithwaite Hall, an ancient mansion, situated on a hill which has indications of having been a fortified station, is now divided into cottages: the old manor-house near the chapel is still used for holding the courts leet of the manor of Slaithwaite cum Lingarths, of which the Earl of Dartmouth is lord. About the year 1820, a spring strongly impregnated with sulphur was discovered, and also a chalybeate spring, in their properties closely resembling the waters of Harrogate. Mr. Richard Varley has since erected baths with every requisite accommodation for the use of the waters, has built several cottages for visiters, and laid out gardens and pleasuregrounds, which are tastefully embellished. On an analysis by Mr. West, of Leeds, an imperial gallon of the sulphureous spa was found to contain, 0.7 grains of chloride of calcium, 0.4 of chloride of magnesia, 2.5 of chloride of sodium, and 20.4 of carbonate of soda: the gases are sulphuretted hydrogen, 0.75 of a cubic inch ; carbonic acid 1.25, and carburetted hydrogen, 4.75. An inflammable gas rises from the surface of the water. The chalybeate spring was found to contain in an imperial gallon 3.4 grains of sulphate, 4.0 of carbonate of lime, 2.4 of carbonate of magnesia, and 3.3 of oxide of iron. There are several reservoirs in the district, one of which, comprising 17 acres, is for the supply of the Huddersfield canal. The road from Leeds to Manchester intersects the village, and is nearly parallel, on the south side, with the river Colne and the canal. Fairs for cattle are held on the Friday before May-day, and the last Friday in October. The living is a perpetual curacy ; net income, £192 ; patron, the Vicar of Huddersfield. The ancient chapel, repaired in 1593, and rebuilt in 1719, stood near the river, where is now a cemetery. In 1788, the building was taken down, and the present spacious though plain edifice erected on ground given by the Earl of Dartmouth ; the tower was added in 1814, and an additional cemetery, on the north side, was consecrated in 1842. The free school was founded and endowed in 1721, by the Rev. Robert Meeke, then incumbent, and has an income amounting, with subsequent benefactions, to £42 ; the master must be a communicant, but not the incumbent, of Slaithwaite. The school-house, which adjoins the ancient chapelyard, was rebuilt in 1744, and again in 1842. There is also a national school, for which a handsome building was erected in 1840, at an expense of £650: it is endowed with a surplus fund of £150 ; and a building erected in 1825 for a proprietary grammar school has been taken on lease for the residence of the master and mistress. The Slaigh or Sloe tree, which formerly spread over a great part of the district, gave the original name of Slaighthwaite to the township ; and from the Ling plant the township of Lingarths derives its name.