Woodworking, metalworking.... just making stuff really

IdleRich

IdleRich
I can't remember if I've asked about this before cos this is an idea that I have toyed with in the past without ever actually getting round to doing anything, but I have decided that I really do want to get my arse into gear and use some of my spare time (of which I do have a fair bit) to do something constructive with my hands. The inspiration for this is a lamp I bought a few years ago, basically someone got a translucent plastic container of the type that used to contain kerosene or something I guess and then they put a bulb in it and connected a plug. It is a pretty nice thing cos it's light (as in not heavy, you can easily carry it around) and it looks pretty cool and so on... but the thing is, I understand it won some design award or something and, as far as I can tell, it must have been piss easy to make for anyone who had a few basic skills. So I'm thinking I could make a lamp out of a bottle or something like that (would need a glass cutter for that i guess). It would be a bit of fun and if I am pleased with the result then maybe I could make more of them and give them to friends, if I get really good I could probably find a few trendy shops here that could sell them as quirky one-offs, I dunno.

Another thing I've always wanted is a decent container for seven inch records, I've got thousands of the little buggers and I have quite a few friends who also have thousands - and yet I don't really know anything on the market that is ideal for storing them. I'm thinking that online I could probably find a pattern to make a chest of drawers and if I changed the dimensions I could make a really nice bespoke thing that held, I dunno, five hundred sevens with drawers that pulled out. Would that work or is there some reason that I don't know about why rescaling like that wouldn't work?

Anyway, I have a few ideas for things like that, I have the time to have a crack at doing it. But I know dick about doing it... so I suppose what I want to know is, is there anyone on here who has ever tried anything of this nature? Is it feasible for me to pick up the relevant skills by a bit of trial and error or would I need to take a course? Also, what tools would I need? I did buy a few clamps and saws at one point but then I lent them to someone and never got them back, what are the essentials that I should pick up first?

So I want advice and general encouragement and if you have ever made anything good then let's see a picture of it.

linebaugh

I outfitted a van to be lived out of. put in wood floors, walls and a bed and also carved out a part of the roof to install a metal retractable vent. Also got in tile and insulation. all with the cheapest materials and tools and it came out pretty well. I think if you have money and time this stuff is easy, just find a good youtube video and follow that.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I reckon that would be way beyond what I hope to do. Although I do have some ideas for making small metal things which may be slightly intricate. What is the best way of shaping and joining metal - I guess I'm thinking jewellery type stuff here - and what metal should i use? I'm just thinking out loud there LB, I'm not expecting you to just answer straight off or anything.

linebaugh

I wasnt really 'crafting' with metal- I didnt make the vent just installed it. Cut the van roof with a metal saw attachment on a standard hand held electronic saw and attached the vent with this odd, puddy like material I bought in a roll at the hardware store and sealed with waterproof caulk and rust proof paint.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I've made tons of bits of furniture but only from kits, so not much creativity involved.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
My dad is exceptionally good at building stuff, and he does it from scratch using timber bought from B&Q.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've made a soft toy for my little lad for his Christmas present, if that counts.
I made this wicked toy lion when I was at school in fact, still kicking around somewhere at my parents' house. Again I stole the design from somewhere but basically it's a wooden body on wheels which you pull along and the cunningly designed legs are attached to the wheels in such a way that as it rolls along it appears that the lion is in fact walking. It also has bits of wool glued to its big wooden head that make a magnificent and majestic mane.
That was by far the highlight of my life as regards making things though. Just before I moved to Portugal I got hold of the dining room table* that we had as we were growing up and mum and dad wanted to chuck it away. I sanded it down and repainted the black coat that had faded, then I varnished it again and it was like new. For about three days and then it started peeling all over, the varnishing was shit and the painting was shit etc etc I really don't know how I fucked it up so badly.

*yes, the one that Britta had anal sex on

IdleRich

IdleRich
You know the table I'm on about right? I think it's been my table for literally my whole life. I love it and I'm glad I stopped the olds getting rid of it... i cannot believe that Britta sullied it like that though, I will never forgive her for this act of desecration. In one instant Mike (or whoever the fuck it was) violated her and together they violated my childhood.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Being called Britta, and getting up to that sort of behaviour, you're almost asking to immortalized as a piece of rhyming slang, aren't you?

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
I have a shed for fixing things, for loping off to hide from the noise, for quiet time, for Man Cave time, MY time

Triple locked due to local pikeys looking for an easy score, fuck that, my shed my rules

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I have a shed for fixing things, for loping off to hide from the noise, for quiet time, for Man Cave time, MY time
PBF266-Caught.png