Googie (and related style and design)

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Can you get some photos mate? I would to see some actual photos of this in the wild, not jazzed up for an exhibition or whatever but performing their function as intended.

In fact I would like to see more suggestions in any field. There must be some films with this aesthetic mustn't there?
Sure, I'm away from home now, but when I get back I can take some photos and post them here.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Nice one. Sorry for the pressure Stanley but I really do want you to do this for me. Also, I don't want to sound ungrateful, but do you think in the future you could get shots from several angles so that I can really get a good overview. Maybe you could get a drone and do some views from above. Obviously I'm just joking now. Although if you did do that it would be good. I'm joking. But do do it. If you want to of course. But do.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Nice one. Sorry for the pressure Stanley but I really do want you to do this for me. Also, I don't want to sound ungrateful, but do you think in the future you could get shots from several angles so that I can really get a good overview. Maybe you could get a drone and do some views from above. Obviously I'm just joking now. Although if you did do that it would be good. I'm joking. But do do it. If you want to of course. But do.
Why don't I record a VR experience of driving through the googie car wash?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Oh here is one of the most iconic examples of Googie: The Cinerama Dome. I've seen Inherent Vice and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood there. Very curved screen, actually not optimal for viewing unless you're in the center seats.

ca-times.brightspotcdn.jpg

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Also the Bob's Big Boy in Toluca Lake. Been there several times, including some of their classic car meets on Friday evenings, when the local gearheads bring their classics and just pack the parking lot

4743f0e32b9300c680a1cce803cab545.jpg

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
The whole Googie / "Mid-Century Modern" look is still very prevalent in LA and surrounding areas. Googie is more flamboyant and zany, but the MCM complements it well as an interior design scheme.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The whole Googie / "Mid-Century Modern" look is still very prevalent in LA and surrounding areas. Googie is more flamboyant and zany, but the MCM complements it well as an interior design scheme.

I can imagine that somehow. The Modern thing seems much cerebral and restrained or whatever and comes from a different place I assume - more academic compared to the googie one which seems comparatively sort of flashy and commercial, and yet I also feel that they have something in common... or maybe it's just that I just like them both.

Anyway thanks very much for the pics, I really love seeing them, it's really something we don't have here so it seems like another world. The googie anyhow, London has loads of modern international type stuff which I think is the same as or similar to what you mean by MCM right?

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I can imagine that somehow. The Modern thing seems much cerebral and restrained or whatever and comes from a different place I assume - more academic compared to the googie one which seems comparatively sort of flashy and commercial, and yet I also feel that they have something in common... or maybe it's just that I just like them both.

Anyway thanks very much for the pics, I really love seeing them, it's really something we don't have here so it seems like another world. The googie anyhow, London has loads of modern international type stuff which I think is the same as or similar to what you mean by MCM right?
MCM to me is, in our current time, a sort of "retro modern" if you will, mainly used to describe furniture / interior design, but also suburban facades and maybe architecture at large. Although when it comes to distinguishing MCM architecture from googie architecture I'd say googie is usually flashier, sometime literally when neon is used.

blaze-triangle-wood-coffee-table-solid-wood-birch-pecan-mid-century-modern-brown-6.jpg

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
(edit: didn't realize you used this as an example already haha, but its a good one)

Googie makes outlandishness a virtue, whereas MCM can be somewhat more subtle.

Here is the central building at Los Angeles International Airport, an example of googie:

fda16f38ff39e32b856ad4b6301473a7.jpg

Last edited: