Nuggets/Pebbles/BackFromTheGrave etc tunes that are nothing like Beatles

blissblogger

This is from '72 but I was surprised how raw and garage-y it is, albeit with a Larry Graham-ish bass pulse. Somehow never heard it before until a few days ago (despite the "what we going to do right now is go back" sample as used endlessly). Surprised to learn it was a #6 pop hit in America.

I wonder if they got the thematic inspiration from this novelty hit by proto-10cc outfit Hot Legs (it started as an experiment with miking a drum kit). #2 in UK in 1970.

blissblogger

Quite a lot of glam and glitter - the most lumpen sorts - is so basic in appeal and so underproduced that it's virtually garage punk. Like Mud - surprisingly raw, pummelling tunes, until they went retro-rockabilly.

Which explains when all the garageheads and 'killed by death' 70s-punk obscurity chasers had completely exhausted those seams, they went into the junkshop glam thing. The unsuccessful stuff is even less produced sounding.

maxi

When it comes to raw black music, this is moving into a heavy / acid-rock / Hendrixy zone but really still pretty garage-y, even with the time-slowing-down sequence (dub ahead of its time)

even rawer live - but interestingly they do the dubby clock-winding-down bit completely live onstage just like the record

that live video is incredible. ive heard this song before but my version stops a few minutes in so never knew about that insane extended breakdown

blissblogger

I think what they get from the Brits isn't just the rave-up thing via Yardbirds and distortion overload, it's the meanness and the sneering, taunting tone directed at women. Which I don't think is in the original R&B (could be wrong, but I don't think so). It's added on by the Brit boy-men, the mannish boys acting hard and worldly. The unsentimental and dismissive attitude to romance, especially the Stones - "Yesterdays Papers", "Out of Time", "Heart of Stone", "Stupid Girl", "Play With Fire" etc etc

So these are just a few out of a thousand examples of how that got amped up further in the US by hundreds of male virgins walking around with volcanos of spunk seething inside them. Wish-fulfilment scenarios all!

Actually that last one is a Brit band apparently - but they sound like American garage punk.

blissblogger

But even when they are lovestruck, they sound surly and insolent

That's also done by The Electric Prunes - and originally written by Goffen-King

Benny Bunter

@IdleRich you've really showed me! Not that I've listened to any of these yet. I still think the Stones (more than the Beatles) are at the heart of all this, but definitely had forgotten about the other UK bands like them and the yardbirds, and also the link wray angle, plus inexplicable oddities like the monks.

That bunker hill tune is a madness (link wray as well right?)

blissblogger

grievance scenarios amped up to absurdity in this bitter kiss-off to an unfaithful mistreater of a girlfriend

"I bought you two Mustangs and a Cadillac"

"you're ugly and you're fat and you got no teeth... got no hair on your head"

IdleRich

IdleRich
@IdleRich you've really showed me! Not that I've listened to any of these yet. I still think the Stones (more than the Beatles) are at the heart of all this, but definitely had forgotten about the other UK bands like them and the yardbirds, and also the link wray angle, plus inexplicable oddities like the monks.

That bunker hill tune is a madness (link wray as well right?)
Not at all a matter of showing you, and I do agree with you about the Stones... up to a point. But I am I very interested to hear what you think about those tunes in the first post (and many later ones) - especially the singular ones such as Dirty Filthy Mud and Experimented Terror.

IdleRich

IdleRich
When it comes to raw black music, this is moving into a heavy / acid-rock / Hendrixy zone but really still pretty garage-y, even with the time-slowing-down sequence (dub ahead of its time)

even rawer live - but interestingly they do the dubby clock-winding-down bit completely live onstage just like the record

I have been doing a fair bit of bar dj-ing lately and I very often play Time Has Come Today cos it's just such a cool tune.