linebaugh

Whats interesting about him is he seems to be the exact same type of guy as zuckerberg and bezos but despite that his 'product' is himself. Conpletely reptillian anti-personality that becomes more disturbing the longer you look- the exact opposite type of person youd want doing his job yet hes one of the most popular entertainers in the world.

entertainment

From something I tried to write about MrBeast and his philantropic content:

In interviews, MrBeast talks about having been obsessed with Youtube since childhood. He hated school, had few friends, and cared about little else than making videos. He speaks proudly about the years he spent as a college dropout in manic pursuit of the formula for the viral video: the tone of voice, the quickness of the cuts, the colorgrading of the thumbnail. I think this part of the story is crucial to understanding what drives him, how his mind works.

To me what he represents is not narcissism but a sort of personality that only makes sense within its native domain of the internet, one that has internalized its binary laws, its own language of transactions, to a degree that is difficult to relate to. The absurdity of these videos doesn’t arise out of our encounter with something immoral, but with a morality whose natural terms has been abstracted away in the logic of content.

Reflecting on the spectacle of America seen from across the Atlantic, Baudrillard writes: “If you approach this society with the nuances of moral, aesthetic, or critical judgment, you will miss its originality, which comes precisely from its defying judgment and pulling off a prodigious confusion of effects.” Might there be a clue here to how we should approach a case like MrBeast, a phenomenon that itself appears dramatically capable of this confusion of effects: the good with the evil, the beautiful with the ugly?

My point is that if we suspend this continental weltschermz for a moment, isn’t there something genius about the enterprise MrBeast has designed? What he has created is a genuine perpetual engine of philanthropy, fused together by the moral and monetary circuits of the internet. It is a veritable Peter Pan-world with all its trappings, its eschewal of seriousness and moderation. Cringeworthy, yes, but also sort of magical.

I think there is something artful about all this, this paradox he presents us with, this bizarre recursion that short-circuits our moral instincts and turns our critical judgement into a part of the joke, into a part of his own grand revenge on the sensibility of adult life, which is left with little to say for itself except a bad taste in the mouth.

mixed_biscuits

In interviews, MrBeast talks about having been obsessed with Youtube since childhood. He hated school, had few friends, and cared about little else than making videos. He speaks proudly about the years he spent as a college dropout in manic pursuit of the formula for the viral video: the tone of voice, the quickness of the cuts, the colorgrading of the thumbnail. I think this part of the story is crucial to understanding what drives him, how his mind works.

To me what he represents is not narcissism but a sort of personality that only makes sense within its native domain of the internet, one that has internalized its binary laws, its own language of transactions, to a degree that is difficult to relate to. The absurdity of these videos doesn’t arise out of our encounter with something immoral, but with a morality whose natural terms has been abstracted away in the logic of content.

Reflecting on the spectacle of America seen from across the Atlantic, Baudrillard writes: “If you approach this society with the nuances of moral, aesthetic, or critical judgment, you will miss its originality, which comes precisely from its defying judgment and pulling off a prodigious confusion of effects.” Might there be a clue here to how we should approach a case like MrBeast, a phenomenon that itself appears dramatically capable of this confusion of effects: the good with the evil, the beautiful with the ugly?

My point is that if we suspend this continental weltschermz for a moment, isn’t there something genius about the enterprise MrBeast has designed? What he has created is a genuine perpetual engine of philanthropy, fused together by the moral and monetary circuits of the internet. It is a veritable Peter Pan-world with all its trappings, its eschewal of seriousness and moderation. Cringeworthy, yes, but also sort of magical.

I think there is something artful about all this, this paradox he presents us with, this bizarre recursion that short-circuits our moral instincts and turns our critical judgement into a part of the joke, into a part of his own grand revenge on the sensibility of adult life, which is left with little to say for itself except a bad taste in the mouth.
So you're a fan?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I thought you'd referred to Baudrillard as "Mr. Baudrillard" there and was disappointed to see you hadn't.

I was going to do a thread about the concept of "Basic" but is this essentially that thread? I've not read any of it, you see.

linebaugh

From something I tried to write about MrBeast and his philantropic content:

Do you have the full peice or is this as far as you got?

version

is-he-sartre-or-a-kid-picking-wings-off-flies-v0-411vat74ierb1.jpg

william_kent

oh god that splash screen is so reminiscent of the ancient and now defunct SO SOLID CREW website which was all done in flash

I had a mate who grew up in Streatham, he told me how Lisa Mafia used to knock on doors on the estate selling shoplifted items from JD Sports

one of my favourite documentaries is the one where SO SOLID CREW are recording at THE MANOR and the resident 5 star Michelin chef doesn't meet with their approval and they have to phone the local KFC for some wings

edit: this may be extremely UK specific, lol

^ @Negative Miami - this is proper UK hardcore continuum circa 2000 AD, ragga style chatting shit over bass which is pure acid house at some points, unpopular opinion

featuring So Solid, Pay As You Go, Darqwan, Agent X, Roll Deep, Wiley, etc.,