linebaugh

I've just come back from my buddies, bachelor party- my buddy who Ive known since kindergarten. Very nice guy, very smart, I love it everytime I see him, but he's a normie, as normie as normie gets, and its our connection in childhood that allows us to be friends as we likely would never be in the same room under other circumstances.

Last edited:

linebaugh

other considerations is the history of the normie, hence why the elderly here are useful. Its no doubt that technology has increased social fragmentation and the garishness of group signifiers and thus the tenor of the normie. @suspended @mvuent @Clinamenic and I probably have a different conception of a normie than the rest of you.

linebaugh

theres also the many sides of the normie. I have a buddy who I think is very normie as someone who presents as straight, made standard lifestyle decisions and loves video games while he probably looks at me as a normie as someone with social grace and non crippling autism- the 4chan normie

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've just come back from my buddies, bachelor party- my buddy who Ive known since kindergarten. Very nice guy, very smart, I love it everytime I see him, but he's a normie, as normie as normie gets, and its our connection in childhood that allows us to be friends as we likely would never be in the same room under other circumstances.
There was a guy I used to work with who was in Lisbon the other day and we met up - we talked about working in an office and how that puts you together with loads of people you wouldn't otherwise associate with - when I was at Borders the woman who sat opposite me was like twenty years older and married to a bus driver, my boss was this guy from Ghana, his boss was another older woman, there was this older Asian guy who ran accounts payable, and we all used to have a good laugh together, go to pub after work etc I think it's good if, in life, you end up in a few circumstances where you are forced to associate with people you wouldn't normally meet. Obviously I hate working but I am glad to have had those kinds of experience. I think age in particular is a thing that really separates people in general.
This is not really about normies I know, but what you said reminded me of this.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
other considerations is the history of the normie, hence why the elderly here are useful. Its no doubt that technology has increased social fragmentation and the garishness of group signifiers and thus the tenor of the normie. @suspended @mvuent @Clinamenic and I probably have a different conception of a normie than the rest of you.
Yeah now I’m curious about that low fi girl mix.

For me, the normie/alt dichotomy pretty cleanly maps onto the culture/counterculture one, but since countercultural stuff has become mainstream, it can be a bit tougher to identify this distinction.

One factor here, I think, is the distinction between Fear of Missing Out, and Fear of Being Ordinary, which tend to map onto normie and alt, respectively.

Reactions: sus

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Also part of it I think the the distinction between banal and critical, where banal isn’t necessarily a pejorative, but just describes a relative lack of neurotic, intellectual, ruminative, etc. activity.

Normie seems more prone to banality, whereas alt seems to have diverged from the norm by way of critical thought and reflection.

Of course there are exceptions, like those raised in alt/countercultural environments, who don’t have a greater sense of context of what is normal, and are effectively normie within their parochial context.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
An example of this last point is the film The Rage in Placid Lake wherein the protagonist is raised in a hippy family, and rebels by becoming corporate. Within that parochial family context, the hippy is the norm, and the son opts for an alternative/counterculture, which happens to be the norm in the wider societal context.