Best of 2022 - 10 out of 10 tunes only

shakahislop

Can't listen to that Weeknd album, I was having a mental breakdown at the time I was listening to it and it gives me horrible vibes now

I have a similar(ish) relationship with that king midas sound album from 2019. probably doesn't help that its a particularly bleak record

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Was it heartbreak?
Existential angst.

My favourite song on the Weeknd album was "Out of Time" which became particularly horribly resonant as I couldn't stop obsessing over my parents getting old and then, by extension, the inexorable progress towards death.

I think there's something slightly sinister and cold about the Weeknd, anyway. Something alienated and alienating. But maybe that was projection.

luka

from the start the chat around weeknd has been about how wrong it feels, hes a wrong un, pervert, cokhead fuck etc and that that was what made him 'of the zietgiest'

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's also all contrived, there's no sense of a real person coming across, there's not even a sense of humour to it. He's probably not even like the character he's portraying, which only makes it feel even more unreal. And the way his recent production draws on/xeroxes 80s music also plays into that sense of unreality.

I'm not exactly blaming him for my mental breakdown but he does owe me at least 50 million dollars in damages.

Benny Bunter

I absolutely hate the wknd apart from like 2 or three songs that are undeniable (like drake in that respect) none from his new album though. Definitely some kind of pervert

sus

you can ban me & like padraig i will only be stronger, surviving in spirit and memory and board lore

rubberdingyrapids

I hate The weeknd too. Totally, utterly contrived. Shock shlock that critics totally ate up. But he has some good tracks. Incidentally his and drakes highpoint might be their duet crew love.

Last edited:
He’s the best vocalist alive. Sometimes too rich and will make you sick, saccharine and an impressionist. But on form there’s no one better

Benny Bunter

Crew love was the one I was thinking of too. Come to think of it's been mainly through UK garage/jackin and NJ club bootleg remixes that I've liked certain tracks, not really the originals.

rubberdingyrapids

Full credit to him. He cultivated this affected Brett Easton Ellis (or Patrick bateman kind of hedonist) of indie rnb type of persona and hes gotten maximum Mileage out of it. Hes going to be starring as a creepy svengali groomer type in a new drama series this year.

Yeah I was typing a post and realised you’ve said same thing

I don’t feel he’s contrived. Maybe in the knowing sense of doing concept albums playing a character and doing MJ impressions and all that.. but he introduced a different character to rnb, the self loathing sleaze and I feel that’s real, he does hate himself as much as he loves himself. He gets across a kind of claustrophobia of hedonism and fame that I think is truthful. it’s grim and seedy but it reflects the time

craner

Beast of Burden
Yeah I was typing a post and realised you’ve said same thing

I don’t feel he’s contrived. Maybe in the knowing sense of doing concept albums playing a character and doing MJ impressions and all that.. but he introduced a different character to rnb, the self loathing sleaze and I feel that’s real, he does hate himself as much as he loves himself. He gets across a kind of claustrophobia of hedonism and fame that I think is truthful. it’s grim and seedy but it reflects the time

You've made this album sound amazing.