Films you've seen recently and would recommend WITH reservations

droid

The guard is OK. Gleeson again. A comedy caper with a bit of Irvine Welsh style grit.

Best Irish film Ive seen in years was Black 47, though Ive heard good things about A Dark Song. An Cailín Ciúin might be worth a watch.

version

I really didn't like In Bruges or Seven Psychopaths, never saw Three Billboards and haven't seen Banshees; mentioned elsewhere that I couldn't stand the humour in the first two, that 'creative' insults thing. The opening of Seven Psychopaths with the guys on the bridge is toe curling sub-Tarantino stuff.

catalog

And it's a kinda apt comparison cos he basically forms a world and if you can live in that world, be taken with it, you are away.

But obviously some people cannot get taken by it for the reasons stated.

version

I tried to read it straight after Molloy a while back, but it was too much; Luke said something about trying to do all three back to back and it making him ill.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Actually if anyone wants a totally unreserved recommendation for a dark Irish dramedy written by a McDonagh and starring Brendan Gleeson, go watch Calvary, by Martin's older brother John (who seems, on evidence, the superior McDonagh). I haven't seen their earlier film together, The Guard, but that's also supposed to be quite good.
+1 for Calvary, didn't even realize that was John McDonagh

william_kent

I tried to read it straight after Molloy a while back, but it was too much; Luke said something about trying to do all three back to back and it making him ill.

reading the trilogy all in a row is a descent into schizophrenic* territory - the outside world recedes until you're just dealing with a disembodied voice by the time you reach The Unnamable

* as in a withdrawal from the everyday world ( one of the recognised symptoms )

one of the greats of literature

william_kent

I've not re-read the trilogy, but my memory was that the journey from room to bed to void had to be experienced in stages and as a whole descent.... although once you've re-read it as @droid has then you can probably just skip to the third volume... all this talk has tempted me to crack open the Beckett on my shelves again, so thanks @version and @droid for the reminder

droid

Heroic dose?
Yeah, pretty much. I first noticed it when I read Molloy and the sucking stones episode, which reminded me of a similar incident Id had with my own pockets when I was lost in a void, and again with Not I, that inescapable, relentless, terrifying monologue - but the unnamable is the ultimate form of it I think. Ofc, this is the language of madness, the untrammeled, unstoppable flow of relentless thought and emotion, malevolent consciousness, which is mirrored in the trauma of intense psychedelia and ego destruction.

catalog

Yeah, pretty much. I first noticed it when I read Molloy and the sucking stones episode, which reminded me of a similar incident Id had with my own pockets when I was lost in a void, and again with Not I, that inescapable, relentless, terrifying monologue - but the unnamable is the ultimate form of it I think. Ofc, this is the language of madness, the untrammeled, unstoppable flow of relentless thought and emotion, malevolent consciousness, which is mirrored in the trauma of intense psychedelia and ego destruction.

Oh God now you say it I remember the stone sucking

catalog

@catalog I may have mentioned my idiotic dose of thousands of mushrooms to you once, but the Beckett trilogy follows the same trajectory of the room falling away, stuck on a bed before all that exists is a white light with no you and no me...
I remember it, I believe you saw the white light. I forgot to tell you on here, and I'll explain in more detail when I see you, but my friend told me, without me telling him what you told me, that he wanted to see the white light

IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm watching wolf of Wall Street now. Has anyone ever had a quaalude or is it true they don't exist now @IdleRich
My research suggests they stopped making them in UK, US and Europe a long time back... however, I understand that in South Africa they persisted with them as a prescription drug for a considerable while after that - I'm afraid that I don't know their present status and I've never had one.