shit in art galleries

shakahislop

i went to a tiny gallery in two bridges today that is a gallery of smells. the dude told me it was always a gallery of smells, but the current exhibition is minimalist smells. it was full of white pots containing smells. gave me a headache but i liked it. all these fringe galleries are down in that part of manhattan now, the rent must be cheap for these little spaces. there's hardly any galleries in brooklyn by comparison, even in like bushwick where you'd expect it.

shakahislop

was in london today. went to this soundsystem installation thing at lisson gallery next to edgeware road. basically just a little room with some comfortable chairs, and a very high end system playing vinyl and tape. the dude who built it came in every twenty minutes or so to change the record. it is really different hearing tunes on great systems, and its rare in my world to be able to hear them outside of a club setting, ie where it's a more normal volume.

the guy who made it asked if we had any requests, asked for selected ambient works, he didn't have it with him but he put a squarepusher EP on instead. it sounded 3D on that system. i'm surprised at how different it sounded. actually it's almost like a different activity to listening to music on a system like that. there's an extra degree of physicality and space.

really recommend going there, seems like quite a dissensus thing

mixed_biscuits

was in london today. went to this soundsystem installation thing at lisson gallery next to edgeware road. basically just a little room with some comfortable chairs, and a very high end system playing vinyl and tape. the dude who built it came in every twenty minutes or so to change the record. it is really different hearing tunes on great systems, and its rare in my world to be able to hear them outside of a club setting, ie where it's a more normal volume.

the guy who made it asked if we had any requests, asked for selected ambient works, he didn't have it with him but he put a squarepusher EP on instead. it sounded 3D on that system. i'm surprised at how different it sounded. actually it's almost like a different activity to listening to music on a system like that. there's an extra degree of physicality and space.

really recommend going there, seems like quite a dissensus thing
Been to Spiritland?

woops

is not like other people
IMG-20230719-WA0003.jpg

@wektor knows about my adventures at spiritland

wektor

i went to a tiny gallery in two bridges today that is a gallery of smells. the dude told me it was always a gallery of smells, but the current exhibition is minimalist smells. it was full of white pots containing smells. gave me a headache but i liked it. all these fringe galleries are down in that part of manhattan now, the rent must be cheap for these little spaces. there's hardly any galleries in brooklyn by comparison, even in like bushwick where you'd expect it.
sick

wektor

btw woops said it was shit, dont bother going. he said its just a record playing, you could do it round your own house
yea there was some jazz fella also dropping by to perform but tickets were 25 quid so i gave up on the idea instantly

shakahislop

they sent me this email the other day

lfactory Art Keller presents Associations, an ongoing series of olfactory performances on Thursday evenings, curated by Ro Miller and Andreas Keller. Get your tickets for the first five performances, which include a cocktail night, a handwashing workshop, and much more.
On July 27, Tessa Liebman’s Soft Fascination will take participants on a somatic and multisensory journey from overwhelm to overjoy or at least, hopefully, some fun and fancy with a flight of evocative cocktails, sounds and kinesthetic softness.
On August 3, ro miller’s for the children i will never have creates embodied imaginative spaces through breathing exercises, tea drinking, and story telling.
On August 10, Hannah MarcusThe Secret Life of Hugo Schiff: a speculative inquiry in scent and song lets the artist’s anthropo-spiritualist alterego Lion Wintersea take liberties with the life and legacy of Hugo Schiff, the 19th century chemist who discovered the aromatic molecules known as Schiff bases.
On August 17, Fengyi Wang’s hand washing ineffectively: smell with fingers, listen with noses and smell with eyes is a handwashing workshop where hands become theatres in the water and all the scent, light and sound is inhaled and exhaled.
On August 24, M Dougherty’s Symphonic Ephemera invites audiences to experience a symphony of scent on the Odor Organ, a new instrument that the artist created in the familiar form of a piano that allows people to play scents instead of sounds.

luka

need a puke emoji. it's what a teenage fanclub or belle and sebastian record looks like in 2023.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Popped into Tate Modern today

Tbf I was pretty depressed so I wasn't in the mood to be charitable

Still, as soon as I walked into the first gallery space I remembered that Tate Modern is possibly the worst gallery in London, utterly dreary, terribly lit, full of rubbish art that evokes no reaction except 1) feigned interest 2) open derision 3) posing in front of famous thing for the 'gram

The funniest thing about it was seeing the utterly bored faces of various teenagers being dragged around the place, my spirit animals

I'd like for someone to explain to me why these richters are worth looking at and don't belong in the lobby of a bank or ignored on the walls of some posh cityboy restaurant — maybe they could. Like i said i was in a hostile mood.

It's not like I'm anti modern art I just think tate modern is terrible

william_kent

"smell with fingers"

this brought back flashbacks of the horror that I felt when my mum mentioned to me that she had given a lift to Blue Peter's legendary "swordsman" John Leslie ( and alleged rapist, never proved in court , but named as such in Ulrika Jonsson's autobiography ) , who had just done a "piece" for BBC TV's children's programme `Blue Peter' about the place where my mum worked, and how they bonded over their shared Scottish heritage during the drive to the train station and all I could think about was a gossip piece in a popbitch email dispatch in which some young model at some showbiz party allegedly declaimed : "smell my fingers - that's John Leslie's cock! I just wanked him off behind the bar!" or something along those lines...

edit: I can't find the dispatch in question, but this captures the popbitch flavour of their John Leslie gossip items:

>> Dirty John <<​
That legendary Leslie charm​

J writes:
“When I was at uni, I played for the women’s rugby team. John Leslie used to hang around one particular pub in Edinburgh – the Golf Tavern. Two of my teammates were lesbians and he spent all night trying to get them to have a threesome with him.
“In the end, he gave up and went home with the youngest of the team. Grim.”​

linebaugh

You have to catch contemporsry art musuems at the right time. I went to the one here not too long ago and all the exhibits i had wanted to see were gone and all that was left was shit

linebaugh

Before leaving we waited by this piece that was a tire on a treadmill that would spin for ten minutes every hour at the top of the hour- because if the whole trip was a waste at the very least were going to see this fucking tire spin- but it never did. The peice was broken. Then we thought that it could have been broken for days, weeks even, because there was no attendent by the peice, and who exactly is going to complain about that sort of thing?

william_kent

Before leaving we waited by this piece that was a tire on a treadmill that would spin for ten minutes every hour at the top of the hour- because if the whole trip was a waste at the very least were going to see this fucking tire spin- but it never did. The peice was broken. Then we thought that it could have been broken for days, weeks even, because there was no attendent by the peice, and who exactly is going to complain about that sort of thing?

boo

did you pay to get in? I'd secretly want my money back, but I'm from the UK so i'd have left a 5 star review and lied about how it was great

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Would you have done Ulrika 20 years ago? Have to say yes. Where are the satsumas. When Stan Colleymore roughed her up, not only did he besmirch all women, he besmirched all doggers too. I can see HmmmGuv being an Ulrika stalwart, until she had breast reduction

What was the question again